Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a car to run Bonnevile in 2005. I would like to communicate with a few gearheads that have info on that subject.
I have the scta-bni.org rule book, and the class that best fits my efforts is Modified sports. I plan an all aluminum DOHC 4v 4.6, and want to run in the 240-260 MPH range. I'm open to ideas,
Thanx,
Byron

·
Junior Charter Member
422 Posts
That sounds like an absolute BLAST!!! If I would have been staioned near there that would be my thing! -wingnut13

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As much as I would like to drive a Roadster to that speed, I don't feel that it can do it due to aerodynamics. It would have to be a Coupe. I have read that Shelby ran a Coupe there but can not find any info of records. Any info appreciated.
Thanx,
Byron

·
Senior Charter Member
574 Posts
I saw the "missing" Cobra on display at Sebring ALMS races this spring. It really is awesome in spite of the fact this word is so overused these days.

·
The Traveler
3,106 Posts
You might also want to give this event a try!
http://www.texasmile.com/

I am considering going to the next event. I need to get a front spoiler first but it's closer and no salt caked all over the car!!

·
What is the speed of dark?
593 Posts
I volunteer Dan Z to answer your question. Besides the fact that I just enjoy volunteering Dan for tasks, he just came back from there with his racing neighbor and they now have several records under their belts. I will send him a link to this thread for you.

mikee

·
Registered
142 Posts
Bonneville requires thicker aluminum sheet metal then the stuff that comes with the kit. You will also need a NHRA style roll cage.

They have screwed up the rules for modifies sports cars a few years ago. Now you can run any nose you want and stretch the wheel base. The guy and gal that just grabbed the record for 350 cu motors (they also hold smaller motor records) is running what looks like a streamliner with the rear fenders/trunk of a bug eyed sprite/MG migit. He has a mild motor... 750 hp. His wife went 240 the first time she tried it with the new motor. I haven't looked to see what speed they finally achieved but 260 seems possible. Their little car has much less frontal area then the Cobra or the Daytona. You are allowed spoilers and this car has a huge one (I don't think wings are legal).

If you are serious about being competitive, I think you will want something with a really long wheelbase and a tiny cross sectional area. Maybe you could start with a Abarth roadster or one of the early Datsun roadsters (I think they had 360 cc motors.. they were chain drive).

-Jim

·
Registered
901 Posts
Since Mike thru my name in, I better say something. You may be picking a difficult place to start. Remember you have combinations of fuel or gas, blown or unblown, displacement. When I looked at the records for modified sports, you would REALLY have to *** up that 4.6. They are really hard on the safety rules and you would need to make a purpose built frame. Setting that aside, look what this quy did. He upped the displacement and changes the blower. My thought for your project would be to cut the displacement down to E. That would put the heads in a good range to breathing, also those records aren't pushed so hard. The roadster and coupe are in the same class thus the coupe would be the best pick. I do see lots being doen to get major hp from the mod motor, it just take bucks. We use a speed prediction program to ball park our combinations. Something like that might tell you a lot. Best of luck in your project and hope to see you next year at the lake.

D Ziol

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just would like to say "thank you all" for your valued input. I have been on this project just a short time, [3 months], and yes, I am familar with how tough the specs/inspection process is. And to that I say GREAT! It is all in the name of safty, that I can deal with. I do want to stay with a mod motor, and am looking at as many configurations as I can. Though I might not be able to go for a record the first year, I need to get some salt under my belt and believe this to be a two year process. Again many thanx to all, and a few of you I would like to contact directly.
Byron Gates, Jr.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts