Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.. New to the forum, so bear with me if I ask a common question.
What type of silicone adhesive works best for bonding the aluminum panels to the frame? Is there any difference in strength, or is choice mainly due to appearance? I plan to powder coat my panels, and am not sure if that makes a difference.
Also, are stainless rivets really a worthwhile upgrade?
Thanks!

Kit ordered 23 March '07, delivery due mid April! Time to start stocking up...

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
25,999 Posts
Lowes etc. sells several silcon rubber brands that are made to adhere to metal gutters and window frames. I used the GE SiliconII gutter type in clear for easy cleanup if it squishes out. I also used the silver color to fill gaps in the panels in the fender well areas and any place else there is a substantial gaps that is semi-visible and you want to hide it.

I don't think I would spring for SS rivets personally. They are harder to crimp and could deform the aluminum since they really squeeze down hard.

Good luck and welcome,
Greg

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
I used stainless steel rivets. I built my own expanded trunk using aluminum rivets, and felt they didn't hold the panels securely, so I switched to stainless. The stainless rivets hold approximately three times tighter than the aluminum rivets. I have a cheap Harbor Freight rivet gun, and it makes quick work of setting stainless rivets. There is no deformation of the aluminum, when using stainless rivets.
There is something to be said about galvanic corrosion using stainless rivets with aluminum. This can usually be avoided if you seal the rivets with silicone or some other type sealer that is water proof. Corrosion normally isn't a problem if you can keep moisture away from the different metals. John

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
If you're powder coating, clear silicone is probably best (just for looks). The stainless will be stronger, but that isn't an issue with bonding the panels with adhesive.

I used Bostik for most of the car, and 3M 5200 for the cockpit area (to keep water in) :D

c

·
Going nowhere fast.
19,728 Posts
GE Silicon II has two formulations, general purpose and metals. The general purpose comes in a number of colors including clear, white, off white, grey (non-metallic), etc. The metal forumulation only comes in clear and grey (metallic). If you look for the metallic grey one, you won't make a mistake.

GE Silicone II 100% Silicone Sealant, Aluminum & Metals, Grey

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts