Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have my kit for 9 days and loving every minute, but I'm a little worried about the body work needed. I love turning the wrenches but I'm not sure about the body. I'm trying to stay within a budget so I'd like some guidance on the cost of sending the body as received to the paint shop vs doing the body work at home.

Thanks,
Gregg

·
Charter Member
870 Posts
Ive been kicking it around myself,so far instead of bringing it to a body shop I went by word of mouth of bodyshop guys who do work on the side.I found a guy who will do all of the bodywork and spray it at a booth that he rents for about 2K plus I supply all of the bodywork materials/he has all the tools,I figured a total for a little under 3K.(I checked out his work,he's really good.
My other option was to do it all myself(I already own all of the tools) for about 500-$600.00.I would just have to make my own spray booth out of plastic and wait for the right weather.

·
Charter Member
870 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,770 Posts
I did mine and am having a local guy spray it in a booth next weekend.

I figure I have $600 in filler, G2, 3m guide coat, sander paper(the 3m stuff is $50 a roll) and the good sanders from Mac.

Paint and material could be another 1K. Just the dupont chromabase is 450 a gallon.

All that said, be ready to spend at least 125 hours on the body. That number could double pretty easy depending on how detailed you get and what edges you roll.

On the other hand a soup to nuts job by one of the three pros that support this site is going to be around 6K and up, depending on options. Considering the work, that is not a bad price. I shopped locally and could not beat the their prices.

·
Charter Member
1,770 Posts
Gregg, I just noticed you are in NC.

No brainer, if you are going to sub it out.

Call Dave at NC painter. He has an exchange program and can have you ready as soon as your go cart is done.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I'm getting a little more comfortable with tyring at least the body work. I have a few quotes for turnkey and don't really want to spend another $6K.

Thanks for the link, that was good info.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I'm getting a little more comfortable with tyring at least the body work. I have a few quotes for turnkey and don't really want to spend another $6K.

Thanks for the link, that was good info.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
I did my own and had a friend ( a professional) spray the paint, clear, and do the buffing. I think that I was into the body work for about $800 for all tools and materials. My biggest mistake was in not getting a high quality compressor with sufficient volume for the featherfill. Actually, I understand that some people have used a paint roller to apply the featherfill so this could save you a bundle versus buying a compressor and spray guns. The featherfill has the consistency of pea soup and dries pretty fast. Also, most of it gets sanded off since your goal here is to get the waves out of the body once you are done with the 3M HSRF and the Rage for the big stuff.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,424 Posts
Nothing better than doing it yourself. It is a kit afterall

Jerry

·
Senior Charter Member
212 Posts
It also depends on the quality that you are looking for. If you are in it for car shows (the REAL kind, not cruise-ins) then there is no substitute for a top notch professional from bare body on. If, on the other hand, you plan on doing a lot of driving, some cruise-ins with your buddies, and such, then have a shot at it yourself. You'll be bucks ahead and can brag "Yeah, I did it all myself, including the paint." Why put the expensive paint job in front of all that road rash?

If you have some experience with spray painting models or anything larger, the techniques transfer well and your confidence can carry you far. Just be careful about the chemicals involved. They can be hazardous to your health. Check out the FAQ's and previous threads about that. All that said, I admit to having done it all myself and was very pleased with the results.

Good luck whichever way you go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts