Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much time does it take to get rid of the raw seams in the body, what kind of tools do I need, how much does it cost to get it done at a shop, and just how badly can I screw up if I do something wrong if I try to do it myself?

When I picked up my kit from the factory about a month ago, I asked the guy helping me load the truck and he said he would definately just give it to a shop to do both the paint and body work done at once. I plan on getting the paint done professionally, but I feel like I should be able to get rid of the seams on my own.

If I were to take off the majority of extra stuff at the seams, and leave the fine smoothing down work to a shop, would that save me any money?

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
knocking the seams down would take a good body guy about 20 minutes, so you're not saving significant money if you only do that part of it. If you continue further and do the filling and fairing, blocking, and body edge prep you can save a pile of money. Not difficult...just time consuming and MESSY.

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
The pro paint guys around here can provide more details, but the accepted practice is to grind the seams out below the finished height and fill up from there. You can't just take the seams down flush.

·
Charter Member
1,558 Posts
Marshall,
Do it yourself and save the money. There is a reasonably priced painter in Middleboro that FFR uses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts