Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sanding... Sanding...
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did you finish the edges to set gaps?

For example, how far back did you recess the edge... then build back up with HSRF to cover the fibers... then form the edge?

Did you form the HSRF over both the top and bottom of the edges to give it more surface area to grab (top/bot/edge) or did you just simply "semi-circle" the edge such that the HSRF only adheres to the edge?

I'm gonna rought fit my hood this weekend to install the hinges and I don't want to eat away too much material.

Thanks Gents!

Jim

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
You might be better off doing a search on this. There are many posts that go into great detail and have great pictures of what others have done.

·
Registered
289 Posts
For me, the only edges I used HSRF on were the rounded cockpit edges. All door, hood, and trunk edges were simply sanded to shape (did not have any exposed fibers). Minor touch up was feathered in with Rage filler. I did round the fender edges with Rage. hth

·
Registered
663 Posts
I don't think it is common to put hsrf on the panel edges.

That being said, you will have some voids in the fiberglass on the panel edges. I would trim and sand the edges to shape, round them over by hand, and then use some metal glaze or the like to go over the edges to fill in any voids.

HTH

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
as john said i didn't have any fibers either
you can check some of my threads on fitting panels.
they were 2009 posts

·
Sanding... Sanding...
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That being said, you will have some voids in the fiberglass on the panel edges. I would trim and sand the edges to shape, round them over by hand, and then use some metal glaze or the like to go over the edges to fill in any voids.
HTH
Ok, my first attempt at this.. what is Metal Glaze? Thanks.

as john said i didn't have any fibers either
you can check some of my threads on fitting panels.
they were 2009 posts
Leo, here is a pic of the holes created for the fins. I figured I'd knock these down, but not sure if sanding will be as effective on the glass as it is on the resin... possibly leaving little stubs if not covered with some kind of fill... I expect the same behavior on the panels that I need to properly gap.. and was wondering how much filler to account for....

Am I over thinking this?

Cheers,

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts