Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on taking the body off first thing and getting to the fun stuff of working on the chassis. But now I’m having second thought. Should I first do the trimming and panel gapping with the body fixed to the chassis. My thought is that it’s a messy job and there is a lot less stuff to make a mess of. Please, need some input....Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Do NOT start the trimming & panel fitting yet. The body will be in a slightly different position when you've got everything properly mounted, and you may find that you've trimmed too much & the panels no longer fit.

Instead, before taking off the body, hold a Sharpie flush with the fiberglass body and mark the firewall, back of cockpit in the trunk, and side panels for the trunk to ensure there’s no interference. The distance between the side of the Sharpie (which is flush with the trunk) and the nib will provide adequate clearance for the bulb seal.

John

·
Curious George
260 Posts
Do NOT start the trimming & panel fitting yet. The body will be in a slightly different position when you've got everything properly mounted, and you may find that you've trimmed too much & the panels no longer fit.

Instead, before taking off the body, hold a Sharpie flush with the fiberglass body and mark the firewall, back of cockpit in the trunk, and side panels for the trunk to ensure there’s no interference. The distance between the side of the Sharpie (which is flush with the trunk) and the nib will provide adequate clearance for the bulb seal.

John
Yup! They taught us that at build school!!

·
Junior Charter Member
591 Posts
Agree with the others.
Gaps need to be done last.

Also, you’ll be touching the body a lot and moving it around during the other parts of the build. You don’t want to risk damaging or contaminating any body work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

John
So, where the nib of the sharpie marks the panels, the panels should be trimmed too?

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Yup.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I've built three, I would not trim anything to the body until the panels have been fitted to the frame. It's no big deal to set the body back on the frame, get rough aligned then mark any panels that need trimming and take it back off.
One thing you should do after the body is off, mark the orientation of the panels so you know which panel lays over top, or is underneath. Black magic marker!

·
Not a waxer
11,629 Posts
As Rich said I wouldn't even concern yourself with it until the panels are in their permanent locations because as delivered from the factory they are only close but not absolute. With that said though it is pretty much a non issue; I've been down this road a few times (few dozen actually) and aside from splash panels and nose aluminum the only aluminum edge which gets bulb seal that I've ever trimmed is the rearmost lip of the trunk floor below the trunk lid opening.

Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good day to All.
New to the forum but have been looking at FFR for several months. Have also seen others. Liking Dave and his company more. I have a question regarding the body of the Cobra. I love the vehicle but have heard the body is flimsy. I have seen the flex on the body off chassis. Is a completed unit rigid as far as the body is concerned? How does it compair with the glass bodies of the other guys?

·
Not a waxer
11,629 Posts
...have heard the body is flimsy. I have seen the flex on the body off chassis. Is a completed unit rigid as far as the body is concerned? How does it compair with the glass bodies of the other guys?
You've heard wrong (which is often the case when people speak of things they have "heard"). When mounted the bodies are quite rigid. I don't work on any of the "other guys" so can't compare.

Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts