Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What product would you use to build an edge, for example on the door. I would think body filler would be brittle in this application. What about building up the door sides to match the body?

We have been told to use a west systems epoxy but I am unsure if this is compatible with every body filler...

Can you give me a quick breakdown of vinylester vs polyester? Also, would something like 3m HSRF work for an edge?

Since my dad and I are new to these products, is there anything we should be aware of?

·
Coolest Puzzle ever !
1,305 Posts
Edge

Rage gold was the way to go for me and Many of us. Did all the roled edge and filer with, took me about 3/4 of à gallon

Mk4

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
evvander,
See below - I copied this from an earlier post of mine. I would use Rage Gold only for the finish work on the door edges (it's fine for rolling the cockpit edges as mentioned above). It's not nearly as strong as HSRF. BTW - I used West Systems epoxy for areas where I had to lay cloth (like where I extended the area under the hood scoop.) It works great. The fumes are not bad compared to vinylester or polyester resins. It's very strong & no bonding problems at all.

From my earlier post:
I used my dremel tool with a thin cut-off disc to put a groove in the edge of the door where I had to build it up. Then I put tape on each side so it hung over about 3/16" (more if you need it). Even though this wasn't very rigid it contained the material until it hardened. Then I used a popsicle stick to fill the space between the tape with HSRF. Pull the tape off as the HSRF starts to harden. I then installed the door and sanded to get the desired gap. Finish up with Rage as needed. I'm sure that there are other ways to do it but this worked well for me.

If you don't know, HSRF is 3M's High Strength Repair Filler. It is a vinylester product and is very strong.
3M Marine High Strength Repair Filler

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.