Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm about to test fit the side pipes with the body on.
My question is: About how much space would you normally find between the body and the chassis (say, at the bottom of the foot boxes)?

Heres a pic of the driver's footbox after just throwing a bolt and washers on...

Also, a lil' curiosity: Would SS allen bolts hold up az well az the standard ones for the header/side pipe flange. I like shiny, over rusty. ;)
Thanx!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,976 Posts
My MkII has about a quarter to half that amount of washers. I doesn't really matter til you try to open the door. Then I think you will find more washers are going to cause a problem.

·
Not a waxer
12,096 Posts
As Craig says the door is going to dictate the lower body position. What I've found on both Mk3 and Mk4 is that the driver's side front wants to be as far in as possible while the rear will be out ~3/8" or so. On the passenger side both front and rear will be out from the chassis by ~ 1/4". Install your front splash panels because they the change they make to the body shape behind the front wheels will play a bigger role in side pipe placement than the lower body position under the doors.

I'd steer away from SS bolts on the header flange. Stainless likes to gall anyway and exposing it to the extreme heat will only make that worse.

Jeff

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like I have a whole lot more assembly ahead of me then... az usual. :001_tongue:

Thanx guyz!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.