Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,441 Posts
Has anyone ever actually heard why the back end is tilted up on the Factory Five? My guess is it was because they used the donor Mustang gas tank, but that's only a guess.

Kevin

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
It's not the gas tank, the Drop Butt mod requires no changes that effect the tank. In fact it covers it up nicely.
It has more to do with splashing an old Everett Morrison body to make the first FFRs.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The West Coast looks like it has the opposite problem. Looks like it needs little wheels in the back!
Maybe it's old and droopy! :D

·
FFCobra Fanatic
742 Posts
God, I love these cars! I DO like the sleek look of the ERA's but I think that FFR sa the best of all worlds...as you guys have stated:the poignantly perky ass-end, gorgeous rolled front fenders, nicely raised lines from the rear fender into the headlights....just so pretty!

And with the work you guys have come out with, I don't think there's much to change with appearance of the body. GREAT WORK GUYS!!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,441 Posts
Mike D

The Everett Morrison thing is scary, they should have copied an ERA. With as many times as they have made new molds you would think they would have fixed it by now. Would have been easy to do the body along with the necessary tubing changes in the trunk when they did the MkIII.

Kevin

[ July 27, 2005, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: KevinM ]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Kevin, I agree. That back end is the ONLY thing that has kept me from ordering one up until now. Wish they would try utilizing the Contemporary molds they have.
Bill

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,345 Posts
Anyone notice how both ERA photos from the ERA body profile comparison page have the upper background of the photos erased? Is that to make their profile stand out more or to 'adjust' it subtly to make it look more like the original? No idea, just happened to notice.

-- Tim

·
5,559 Posts
billjr,
that rear profile shouldn't keep you from ordering, if you really want one. It is easily fixed using the "drop butt" method that has been discussed many times in the past. Even the trunk lid is easily made to look original just by bolting on one from Tristate. Aside from a couple of hours of work and a couple of hundred dollars, there's nothing to it.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tim, I noticed that too. I just figured that it was to remove whatever car was parked next to it but you never know.
Keep in mind, this is coming from the ERA site and I would expect them to make their car look the best. If you notice the placement of their car between a CSX and a KMS car. And the ERA appears to be quite low in the rear which I personally think makes them look better.
Still, it's interesting to compare the profiles even with the designed-in advertising.

·
Senior Charter Member
228 Posts
Also look at all of the car profiles. They have the best wheels you can get and most of the others have a factory 87 mustang wheel or worse.
Wheels can really make or break a car.
my 2 cents.

·
Supermoderator
12,393 Posts
In my twisted, unorthodox way, I think the JBL is the prettiest of replicas. The body is just perfect.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,359 Posts
Personally, I really like the FFR perky butt. I have long since gotten over any desire to exactly replicate an original Cobra - it is not a Shelby Cobra; it is what it is - a beautifully engineered car designed to present that vintage Cobra look. I'll take the FFR as is.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,359 Posts
You know what I just noticed? Some of those photos are "squished." If you look at the scale of wheels and tires, and then realize that the overall dimension of the photos is the same and the distance between the frame edge and the front light (and rear also) are close to the saem, you can see that some of those photos have been squished which will distort the overall dimensions. Interesting...

·
Registered
361 Posts
It looks like the FFR is similar to the Contemporary in the back end, which is why it could have the lifted rear end. This delayed my purchase as well, but in the end the other features of the kit outweighed this shortcoming.

I don't think it's quite as noticable in the flesh. I'll either accept it or change it. Besides, aside from the Kirkham, they all seem to have some area of the body that doesn't look right. The ERA's don't have enough arc in the rear wheel well.

Garnet

·
Registered
381 Posts
Are you saying some of the photos have been altered in an attempt to make the ERA look better?

The "perky butt" look has long been a turn-off for a lot of people, myself included. This is a real shame because the FFR has so many things going for it, but the shape of the body is a deal breaker for someone that wants the look of the original.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts