Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve decided to tackle the body work on my late mk 3.1 and I’ve read practically every thread. Where I’m a little lost is the panel alignment on the seams. I’ve ground down my seams and they don’t need the HSRF. My issue is misalignment between panels. My question is do I block more of the high panels and reshape them with rage gold or just reshape and feather them out with Rage? Everything I read just shows lots of filler and shaping. And yes I did all the wax / degreasing and comet scrubs before grinding. Thanks

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
Not a body guy myself, Jeff K did mine, but I wouldn't recommend sanding down the body, filling the low areas would make more sense. Sanding the high area's would just cause thin spots in the body.

·
Not a waxer
11,635 Posts
As Rich said you don't want to get carried away removing a great deal of material in an effort to bring the high side down to the low. Once the mold flash (they are not seams) is knocked down the contour matching is done with filler.

Good luck!

Jeff

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! Just wanted to be completely sure. Any pinholes I come across in the fiberglass, can those be opened up and filled with Rage? Or should I mix up a little resin to fill them? Thank you again.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,889 Posts
I used Evercoat Metal Glaze for pinhole patrol.

Mix up resin? Most of the off the shelf stuff is polyester. FFR uses vinylester. I don't think you want to mix the two. The last thing you want is incompatible products under your paint.

·
Not a waxer
11,635 Posts
Rage Gold, Evercoat Ever-Gold finishing putty or the metal glaze mentioned will all be fine. After you spray your high build Slick Sand or equivalent it will undoubtedly reveal some pinholes on the edges of doors, hood and trunklid. I like to use the uncured leftovers from the mixing bucket to hit those using a touch up dauber (they're like a tiny Q-Tip) but you'll have to work quick before it kicks. Mk3 eh? Welcome to pinhole purgatory! I did an old Mk3 several months ago for the first time in about 4 or 5 years and had forgotten how full of holes they are...the little bastards seem to never end :surprise:

Jeff

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m about to get my feet wet with a little rage inside the scoop area. I’ve evened out the recessed cut out but the scoop is way off. Any tricks on fooling the eye?

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts