Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The curvature of the body right behind the cockpit on my car (where the roll bars go) is quite a bit higher on the passengers side than on the drivers side.

Nothing is hitting or obstructing the body. All the body mounting holes line up. I am certain the body is mounted properly and sitting right where it should be. It looks to me like the shape or curviture of the rear deck is off. If I push down on the rear deck where it is high right behind the passenger it all seems to even out.

I noticed this a little before sending it out for paint but at the time it seemed so slight that it wouldn't be noticeable. Well I got the finished body home last night and I'm not sure whether it is the stripes or not but it is really noticeable now and will have to be addressed.

As I was looking it over last night I was thinking that the only solution might be to push it down and rivet or screw the body where it overhangs into the cockpit to the aluminum that is behind it. I know this is mentioned by FFR in the manual Problem is I have never liked the look of fasteners there. The other concern is that it might affect the location of the roll bar holes!

Has anyone else ever experienced this?

p.s. Rick Lacourse and I stopped at FFR yesterday. Rick told me afterward that the MKII in the showroom had the rivets along the overhang at the back of the cockpit this way. It made me wonder if they were solving the same problem.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,575 Posts
Don't be alarmed, I haven't seen a symetrical one yet. There is other blemishes as well but if you're not looking for them, no one else will. By the time the roll bar gets on, it'll hide quite a bit of what you're seeing.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Mine goes out for paint in a week or so. I checked it tonight and I have the same exact problem. It really kinda sucks. Not sure what to do about it. I notice it because I am looking for it. Like Matt says, I bet the stripes and paint really make it stand out. Anybody got any ideas or experienced the same thing? I messed with the body mounts, etc tonight to try and get it to even out but no luck.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
125 Posts
It may be a little late for my remedy but when I found the same problem I moved the aluminum up about 1/4" which sort of forced the fiberglass to take the shape although I had to work to get the body bolts in. You may be able to acomplish the same thing by adding a 1/4" stick on foam insulation above the rubber gasket.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the suggestions. I can tell you that with a dark color and bright white stripes when viewed from the front you don't have to look for it. It stands out like a sore thumb. I looks very deformed. Something about the way the white stripes accentuate it.

Anyone ever try using polished buttonheads through the body and into the rear cockpit aluminum instead of rivets the way the FFR manual suggests?

Husdog, do you mean adding foam to the weather-stripping to the rear cockpit aluminum where you don't normally use any or along the trunk side aluminum?

-Matt

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,575 Posts
Matt, I wouldn't worry too much about the body. You really don't notice it when the bar is on. You know it because you see it and focus on it. If you want, look down the hood of your car from the front and tell me what you see looking back toward the windshield. The little things are there but I believe they are in the eye of the beholder. Yes, we could fix them, that's what makes this kit feesible.

I put an extra hoop welded into my frame and with a piece of foam strip on the top of that keeps my rear cockpit nice and tight. So tight both my wife and I sat there for a picture once. Do what you have to but really you shouldn't worry. jmo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts