Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have spent my paint budget and I haven't even put the engine in yet!
What kind of prep is neccessary to install the body in gel coat? How much trimming of the doors, trunk and hood will be needed? I am concerned about trimming off parts that will be needed when I do have the body painted.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Robert,

I was told by another ffcars member that Kens Autobody (street rod painter) can just trim and fit doors and panels, if you wanted to drive in gel coat for a while, I was thinking about doing that and taking it back up there when I was ready for paint...not sure on $$ amount. I am almost at that point.
It would entail more trips up there, but we are lucky to be relatively close to Yuba city. Give SRP a shout.

Sherman

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It seems like a good idea to let new fiberglass bodies cure a bit before doing the prep and painting. Fiberglass releases gasses (you can smell it) for a while, and it is good not to have that pushing against the backside of the paint.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
On my MK-II the doors, hood, and trunk would go together, just not pretty. I drove for a year in gel coat.

·
Charter Member
101 Posts
I wanted to get on the road this summer so I degreased the body, sanded the seems, used scotch brite on the rest of the body, did some sanding on the doors,hood and trunk just to fit a little better then got some black satin primer at the auto paint store($50 total) and sprayed it in my shop. Most people like it and I have about 5-6 hours total invested in it. Don't even have the seals installed but will when I have the final paint and body work done.

·
Charter Member
1,169 Posts
WOW!!! For only 5-6 hours not bad at all.

·
Charter Member
1,576 Posts
Looks Great! I am driving in gel coat as well - does not look anything like that. Made the mistake of taking it out for a test drive at the beginning of the summer...never made it back to finish up the bodywork. Way too much fun.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Damn that looks good! I would definitely drive that for a season.

I wonder if the pros can chime in here and reccomend a black primer to use that won't interact negatively with rage and featherfill when we begin the body work itself.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
I drove for a few months in gelcoat and partial body work done. Like Mac said. Epoxy primer only if any filler on the car. Other primers absorb moisture. If you decide to just cover the body in primer until body work starts. Anything other then epoxy will need to be sanded off first before useing fillers and such.
Just trim the panels enough to fit thier openings and leave final sizing to whom ever will do body work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts