Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ffr 2420 has had 17" cobra r's on standard 4 link for 2 years know. Just changed to 15" us wheels with spinner kit. I always noticed the rear wheels not quite centred in the body from left to right but they were nicely tucked in so barely noticeable. The us wheels have smaller backspace.
Drivers side sticks out 1" and passenger side 1/2". This is really noticeable. Any ideas on how to check rear 4 link for proper placement in chassis? Can it be adjusted side to side? Also had to raise the ride height and now the axle straps will barely fit, they are super tight. Should I remove them? I have standard 4 link, springs and quad shocks. Thanks for you suggestions.
Jon

·
Supermoderator
12,393 Posts
I think you created your problem by not getting wheels with the correct backspacing. You need the axle limit straps with the 4-link, so you'll have to find another mounting point for them. As far as moving the body, I think you might be out of luck without some major work. If you have SN95-length axles, you can gain 3/4" per side by going with FOX axles.

·
7,097 Posts
I have the same issue using the same wheels. I corrected a lot of it by using adjustable upper control arms. Then I bought another set of rear wheels with more backspace. What backspace are you using?

·
Charter Member
6,152 Posts
My axle is about 3/8" more toward the drivers side. THe problem was fixed when I installed 3-link. THis suspension is ajustable side to side.
cant help you with the US wheels.

·
Senior Charter Member
344 Posts
I am fighting the exact same problem. I thought it was just my car. I am using US wheels also and my drivers side is where I am closer to the body with the wheels. I am having prblems getting my ride hieght set correctly and I thought this may be the issue. I have rear coil overs in the rear and I am still trying to find a solution.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,716 Posts
Can't help w/ the side to side but your ride height is way off.There should be obvious slack in the limit straps.Hopefully when you get it centered you can then drop the height.Good luck

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
You need to know if it's the chassis that is set up out-of-square , or the body....Get the car on the lift , and run a string from the center of the rear axle on each side to the center of the opposite front axle on each side...Measure from where the strings cross to the outer edge of the chassis....If it is not even , the chassis is mis-aligned...( And you have a big job ahead).
If they are even , then measure from the cross point to the outer edge of each corner of the body....Chances are , the body is set crooked on the chassis , and this will require removal of all the body screws and re-alignment of the body on the chassis....
Don't forget the windshield screws (loosen) and the rear-view mirror screws. Also the screws set in the body around the hood opening (in the 3/4" frame supports)...and the under-door trim pieces.
Good luck .

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice guys. The us wheels were ordered with the max. custom backspace they will do. I think 5 - 5 1'2". Can't find the paperwork.
I need only about 1/4" movement to make it okay.
I will string the car as Mr. Barry suggested.
Yes the rear ride height seems high but this pretty much stops any rubbing over dips.Has anyone tried the rubber wedge style spring islotars between the coil springs to help stop tire rubbing on the rear fender.I would like to upgrade to coilovers. If I do upgrade can I use them with the 3 link upgrade? I like the Us wheels , the ride comfort is good, nagging front end vibration is greatly minimized compared to the 17" khomos and the meaty look of the bfg's
look pretty good. I feel like the car is never done!

·
Senior Charter Member
1,600 Posts
cobraeh,
If you need the ride to stay high it is an easy fix. I wanted to put on drag radials and was constantly raising and lowering the rear according to the tires that I had on at the time. I got I believe 89 ford ranger tail-gate straps that worked great. They stoped the axel from dropping too far yet gave me enough length to allow me to raise the rear for the fatter tires. Check what length you have then go to an auto parts store and buy a little longer ( I think 2 inches) strap.
Take care,
Ron

·
15,282 Posts
Originally posted by cobraeh:
nagging front end vibration is greatly minimized compared to the 17" khomos
I can't help with the actual question, but I will throw in that I had all kinds of problems with sets of Kumhos I once ran on a Porsche. Their street tire quality control is very low, and they are very hard tires to balance. That's probably the source of your vibration.

I found that the only way to get an acceptable balance on a mounted Kumho was to do the road-force style balancing. A regular spin balance would show the tire was fine, but driving the car it felt like it was going to shake itself apart. I never liked the tire very much, but the better type of balancing at least made it drivable.

Not trying to start a firestorm over that tire, just relating my negative experience and decent solution. If you keep the 17s for track use or something like that, it might be a way to make them a little more enjoyable.

Cheers, John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts