Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was following the procedure to mark the hood pin holes and noticed that they were not symetrical or aligned on the hood. In trying to find the cause I noticed that the body is not straight on the frame. It is pulled toward the driver side about a half inch. If I look at the 3/4" upper frame rails near the hood opening, the driver side edge is just about even with the 3/4" rail. The passenger side is about 1/2" over. If I look at where the front fenders align with the tires, one side is in more than the other.

Has anyone else experienced this? If I leave it like this, the hood pins will not be aligned. I'm suspecting the windshield cutouts are not correct and the windshield braces are pulling the body over.

Any suggestions before I start taking things apart?

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
i understand thgat the car....particular the rear is offset...3-link guys can adjust for look....so i've heard

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
I noticed issues with my body too. The front lined up after I redrilled the mounting holes but the back is still a bit high on the driver's side. I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong or if this is to be expected with a non-structural body.

·
Supermoderator
12,393 Posts
You are probably right about the windshield mounts pushing it over. That happened to me. I found that to fix it I had to gently and carefully bend the windshield posts to get them aligned with the cutouts and also parallel to the mounting surface. Made a big difference. I think i put an offset bend in each side.

·
Senior Charter Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

I'll pull the windshield out tomorrow and see if I can get the body to slide over and just open up the holes a little.

·
Daily Driver since 2/03
995 Posts
Also check for wheel well clearance with the tires. I had to move my body 1/2" TOWARDS the drivers side to fix up a wheel rub issue. I even had to cut off the small L shaped flange that mounts the nose of the body and make a new one to work with the new location.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,481 Posts
Many of the hood openings have been reported to be off in previous posts over the years. What's important is theat the fender lips are the same distance from the tire on both sides, when at ground height. Even that can be off a little, as you never see both sides of the car at the same time.
I used to build custom airplanes and all of this drove me nuts until I started to measure everyting and found that very little is symetrical on the FFR body.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts