Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I kept dragging a** on this, but I finally got around to doing it today. I wanted to have a way to install/remove the body from the car without calling someone to come over and help. After Rod (dv/dt) put up his post about the hoist system he set up, I knew that I was going to copy it. Thanks to his detailed instructions, I was able to put up some eye hooks and "get airborne" today. Now comes the fun part, trimming aluminum and installing bulb seal.

Edit: here's Rod's original post - http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190159

The hooks:

In position

We have liftoff.....

No safety net now.

More pics to follow..........

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
At this time, I went outside to get the roller and move it into the garage. That's when my neighbor decided it was a good time to bring his son over (he's home from college) and shoot the sh*t for a while. I didn't want to be rude so I chatted, but I was just waiting to hear the body come crashing down the whole time. Luckily, no problems, the hoist worked great.

In position part two....

Going down

First the front

Then the back

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a little tight getting the back into place, but it finally slipped down. I did find out that my filler neck was too high so I had to drop that down some, but we're good to go now.

·
"The" FFR Master
3,172 Posts
Hey congrats it looks great I know that feeling. Keep it up and I like the wheels in chrome.

·
Junior Charter Member
161 Posts
Kevin,

I had not read Rod's post about the body lift. As soon as I saw what you did I knew it was something I want to try. It looks very controlable by a single person if you go slow. I will have to search for Rod's post on this. Lookin good!

Mike R

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Wow looks great

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Mike, check the first post again. I just linked to Rod's original post. With the cinderblocks, it's incredibly controllable. You just raise the body by lifting up on the body or lower the body by lifting up on the cinderblocks. They are almost the perfect counterweight.

For reference, I didn't want to search Home Depot and I had an order going in already, so here are the eyebolts that I bought - http://www.mcmaster.com/#9589T3

·
1,913 Posts
Very slick, but since you have a neighbor that likes to shoot the ****, wouldn't a couple of beers be a simpler approach ;-) ?? At least, that's how I'm justifying not copying this idea in my garage!

cheers-

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You'd think so, Tim, but he's kind of a pain in the butt and I don't really want to give him an excuse to hang out in my garage any more than I have to. :) Plus, this way, I can take a day or two off of work and be able to do this by myself, without waiting for someone to get home and help. A definite plus.

·
Premium Member
16,590 Posts
Looks great Kevin, works pretty slick doesn't it? The one thing I should have to that you did was to mount the lights, etc. before lowering it. Several here said the holes made good grab points when lowering the body but that doesn't apply with this method and it must have been much easier with the body on the buck. Could even have done it when the car was hanging there and had great access. Thanks for the pics!

Cheers, Rod

·
Charter Member
1,326 Posts
Nice job Kevin - almost a shame to put the body over that beautiful Go cart of yours......

Scott

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It sure does work great Rod. I got lucky with the lights. I was tired and discouraged one day a month or so ago so I figured I'd put the lights on the body. It was easy work and made me feel like I accomplished something that day. Turns out, it was a blessing in disguise as it would be kind of a pain to do it now.

Thanks Scott. I agree, as cool as it is to have the body on the car, it really sucks to cover up all my hard work. It doesn't look much different than the day it arrived. Well, maybe a little different. :)

·
Junior Charter Member
405 Posts
Looks nice, I'm gettin' ready to set up something similar myself. BTW, do you know your sidepipes are on the wrong sides???
Mark

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:) Yup, sure do. I did that on purpose because it kept me from hitting the bracket when I slide under the car. Also, the correct driver's side pipe sticks out a bit and I didn't want to end up burning myself by misjudging it. I'll swap them around before I put any real miles on it and I plan to go with Gas-N's pipes in the longrun. Thanks for the head's up, though.

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Good job - the cable system looks very interesting! (btw, did I mention that while you beat me to first start, I finished you to the finishline (minus paint), ehehehehehehe :evil: )

If you ever want a challenge, try putting the frame on a 4post lift and install the body with it on the lift. That's what my dad and I were doing yesterday - a lot of shouting 'MANEUVER! MANEUVER!!!!!! SHIfT! SHIFT! STOP STOP STOP!' and heart attacks .... never again! :lol:

·
Senior Charter Member
2,424 Posts
It is looking great!

Jerry

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,044 Posts
Now it looks like a car doesn't it? great progress!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts