Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Body is ready to go on for first time.

(1) If I read correctly, all nose aluminum and splash panels get installed with the body on. Is this correct?

(2) I can't find in the manual when I am supposed to secure the top of the radiator to the 3/4" tube. Do I do this before I set the body on? It's held on with zip ties right now.

(3) I have the FFR hood hinge, MK III. Should I get it started with the body off or is it just as easy with the body on?

If there are any other tips, my ears are open. Thanks,
Doug

·
Banned
496 Posts
(1) Yes, the three pieces of nose alum goes on after the body fit. You will need to trim each one of these to fit.
(2) Can't speak about this one. I installed my radiator prior to body, but did fab up my own upper and lower radiator mounts using the donor rubber isolators.
(3) Definately put the lower brackets of your hood hinges on first. It's a PITA to put them on after the body is installed. I would also get you some 5/16" X 1" long carriage bolts for this application as the back side is difficult to get a wrench at.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Don't forget to install the 1 inch foam between body and foot boxes. It won't take you long to figure out where the heat is coming from.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
My only advice is to put it all together as if you are completing the car. Don't take any shortcuts. Install every single panel and all insulation. This makes final assembly much easier and trouble free.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,314 Posts
First body fit needs to be done with no bulb seal. I found there were some places I needed to trim, but there were some that were too far for the 3/4" FFR supplied bulb seal to make contact with the body. I got some 1" bulb seal from McMaster-Carr. That worked well. I also bought some expanding foam strips which expand to 2". When I do my final body mount I will double up on this since 2" isn't enough to completely fill the gap between the body and footbox.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
lowwer alum and fender panels after body is on
I mounted the top of the radiator to the 3/4" before body went on.
Definetly use the carraige bolts on the hood hinge. i put hinge on after body was on.
No bulb seal on alum panels for first fit. Good change you'll need to trim the alum in a few places.
Thin foam tape only across hood opening,dash hoop,trunk hoop for first body mount.
The first body mount was to only check and trim alum panels and check for interference.
Removed body,trimed where needed,then install bulb seal and remount.
Check to see where dash will need to be secured durring first body mount. It aligns to the body,not the frame hoop. This is importand if useing hidden dash fasteners.
First body mount is not really mounting the body. It is a matter of setting body down to check clearences. Once done,remove,trim,remount with all fasteners being used to hold body on. Once there entir car is mocked up complete.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts