Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me where I can get a scale drawing of the 427 body bucks? Or some decent pictures? Anything to help me make the buck?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Bridgett,
I sketched the one in tha manual on big pieces of cardboard after hearing they are slightly imperfect. Then after cutting and fitting the cardboard, (had to trim one) transferreed the shape to particle board and made the final cuts with a Skill saw. No problems on fit. Some suggest using pipe insulation foam tubing over the wood so it is softer on the body. I put a 90" board between, about 24" tall, so the verticals are exactly at the center of the wheel openings. Seems to work ok. Finally, to make the body easy to move around, attached the buck to 2 furnature dolleys.

Hope this helps. Is this your car you are working on?
LNJ

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Larry,My husband and I have been gathering info for over a year now and hopefully we will be starting our build soon. Its his dream,but we have been stumped in alot of areas. Then I discovered FFCARS!! Thanks Guys!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
Bridgett - you and your hubby can do it with the help and knowledge of people on this forum. We did it, but it took a lot of questions and some great advice and help from the members here. I'd like to think that we could have done it ourselves, but reflecting back, probably not. I enjoy mine every day (when my boys are not out driving it) just going to the store or just taking a short cruise. It is a thrill that you will never get over.

Frank n Sons.

·
7,097 Posts
Awesome Bridgett! There was a post a while back of whether or not wives should help their husbands build these things. I think it's great that the two of you are in it together. I have planty of support from the missus but while I'm envisioning how to add HP, she's matching her outfit to the car! :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Of coarse she is!! Though we don't mind getting dirty and being involved in such a fantastic project....we are still women!!
Besides...what a WONDERFUL way to spend time together. It's not often two people get to share a dream. I treasure it!!

·
5,042 Posts
Bridgett, have you visited the www.factoryfive.com web site yet? I suggest you contact them and have them send you an information packet and also their video showing the product, factory, satisfied customers etc. Also I would suggest buying the build manual which will give you a much better idea of the process. The manual costs $50 but if you buy a kit this will be refunded. Plus, if you decide NOT to buy a kit, just sell the manual again on this forum.

Although this site is dedicated to Factory Five owners, builders and enthusiasts, there are other manufacturers out there, some (but not all) of which have a decent product.

Finally, IMHO the most important thing to help you both realize your dream is this forum. The knowledge base is huge and the people are great.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Bridgett:
Just do a word search on the FFCars forum for 'body buc' and you will find all the information that you will ever need to build a body buc. Just finished building one and most of the wood came from the FFR shipping crate. Just had to buy the 2 X 4's, screws and wheels(at least two locking ones). They suggest gyproc screws, but go for Robertson head screws instead, they are stonger and much easier to work with. Good luck.....

misu

·
Senior Charter Member
618 Posts
I have a full size cad drawn copy if you would like it. Do you live in the DFW area? I found that you really don't need to be all that accurate with the buck but the drawing makes it go faster.

Good luck
Cody

·
Registered
690 Posts
Wrong "buck" information. Bridgett wants a buck to form an aluminum body. It is a wood skeleton in the shape of the desired body (in this case a Cobra) used to test fit the panels as they are formed on an English Wheel and beat out on a sandbag.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Cody, but Robert is EXACTLY right. Thats what type of buc I need. Anyone know where I can find this??????? And Cody,if you have Autocad maybe you could draw it up for me?

·
Senior Charter Member
618 Posts
Bridgett, sorry I don't have access to Autocad. I got the bucks from another gentleman in Dallas.

You have lots of work ahead of you making your own aluminum body.

There is a guy on one of the other cobra fourms that is making his own Daytona Coupe. He has very good pictures on his website of what he is doing. It is a beautiful car!

Cody

[ December 04, 2002, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Cody ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts