Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a really old thread about building a body buck. There were no pictures or dimensions for the osb. Does anyone else have a plan they can share? I prefer a simple one. I plan on doing the body work first then sending to the painter. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
There is a really detailed thread here that gives dimensions and pictures for building a frame dolly and body buck. After going through and familiarizing myself with the plans and making a shopping list, I built both in a weekend, easy. I would recommend not going for a simpler body buck than this because this one closely resembles how it would sit on the car. This way the body doesn't get warped and deformed over time and reduces the amount of wrestling you will need to do when you go to fit the body on the car.

Keep in mind, the height dimensions can be a little flexible. I made mine just a few inches taller to maximize clearance under the car and above it. When I roll the body into the garage, I have less than an inch above and below the body and body buck. Works perfectly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I just finished reading 12 pages of your build thread. I am excited to receive my kit very soon, Stewart picks up at FFR 4/5. I have the frame dolly built. Will work on this next!

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Sounds good man! This is very exciting. This is the best place to be for information, so never be afraid to ask questions, even the stupid ones. I’ve certainly asked my share of dumb ones

·
Registered
52 Posts
I found a really old thread about building a body buck. There were no pictures or dimensions for the osb. Does anyone else have a plan they can share? I prefer a simple one. I plan on doing the body work first then sending to the painter. Thanks!
factory five did have the plans and drawings on there site they should still be there

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
They are shown in the manual. There is very little risk of the body warping or distorting. The body isn't some delicate piece of plastic that needs to be handle with white gloves.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did all of my body work with the body on the chassis it is a lot more stable.

·
Registered
592 Posts
If you're in So Cal, I have one that you're welcome to

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I plan on doing the body work while it’s in the chassis but still wanted to build the buck to have on hand if the painter gets done before I do - which will likely be the case. Anyone know how much taller the body is above the buck itself? Please say something less than 8”...

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Depending on how good your radius is to the body, it should stick up more than a few inches. The highest body of my body is 80" +/- 1". I also made mine a touch taller than in the plans I sent you and mine has 3" casters under it.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
They offer a payment plan, but I paid the final fee a week before pickup. I recommend calling or emailing them, I’ve had a great experience speaking with Brent, about how to workout payment. They are super helpful there.

·
Registered
408 Posts
A word of caution. Some painters will only do body work and paint - they will not accept someone else's body work. Contact the painter of your choice to see if he/she will accept your body work.

Reactions: thwrightstuff

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Second that. Lots of people told me they won’t paint it unless they do the bodywork themselves.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I used my body buck for the paint shop, but I had casters on it. The paint shop that I worked with allowed me to do the body work, and they inspected it before they painted. The body work has do be done on the frame of the car. Each time you paint it, you need to remove it from the frame. The paint shop allowed me in their shop each time for me to disassemble put on the body buck and re-assemble on the frame. The engine stand is a great device to hold the doors to be painted in the proper position.
DSCN2626.JPG
20160507_102012.jpg
DSCN2701.JPG
Front.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts