Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Charter Member
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have some questions...

1. Is there a diagram or specs for building a body buck in the build manual?
2. If not, is there a diagram or specs for building a body buck? Where?

3. I think I remember seeing a post for a body lift using pulleys and rope with counter-weights. Anyone know about it or how it was done? I now have a 1-1/2 car garage and space is at a premium. Would like to devise something to lift and keep body above car while working on all mechanicals, etc.

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
837 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Nick, you can easily hang the body with ropes weighted by cinder blocks or just tie the ropes to hold it up. It all depends upon how high your ceiling is. In this photo the body has been lowered to mount it but otherwise it was higher. I took my garage door opener down to get the body up high enough to have working space below it. And, I built my Mk3 in just one bay of a 3-car garage. (HOA says no cars overnight in drive.)
It can be done if you are organized.
Pete

·
Charter Member
2,612 Posts
I suspended my coupe body just like AZPete did his roadster. I had a two car garage with the body on one side, the chassis on the other. I was able to lift the body with high ceilings to allow the garage door to open and roll under the body.
I used a 2 x 2 with the rope on each end, routed through a pulley on the front and back of the garage bay. I could raise of lower the body, drop the front or back. I had mine just tied off.

Rob

·
Registered
429 Posts
Another option (what I did) is to build an elevated buck on casters so you can wheel it out of the garage if needed (so you don't bang your head on it).

·
Registered
Mk4 FR347 TKO600 Moser 3:31 350RWHP 350RWHP NT01s GasN Pipes Corbeau seats Celina Custom Auto paint
452 Posts
Get the right body buck profile

Yes, there's a body buck drawing in the Mk4 build manual, but the last time I looked it wasn't correct. I think you'll find this solution much better. Others have used it and liked it. I routed my pully system through the attic.

Good Luck,
Stan

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
x2 on the idea to build a body buck that rolls above the chassis. Did that with my Mk3 build, and just a couple weeks ago starting the Mk4 build.

Also x2 on Laser Stan's updated profile for the back. Used on this body buck, and fits perfectly.

I have hook eyes in the ceiling, and can raise and lower the body by myself using bicycle pulley's. But I can't open my garage door with it suspended. This is the best of both worlds I think.

I'm just up the road from you in Lake Orion anytime you want to look or compare builds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.