Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved Roadster kit #5228 from FFR. I've read quite a few resonses from people saying "the body is not accurate". I have one of thier old promo tapes & am sure Mark Smith said they took the mold off an orininal Cobra. If they're not accurate then what wrong with them??

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,293 Posts
Just one opinion,it's not that they're not accurate,they're just kind of nasty.Especially the carbon fiber ones.

·
3,875 Posts
The mold was taken from another kit with the most obvious difference being the rear of the body from the center of the rear wheel openings back has been raiser up a couple of inches to make the trunk larger and that there is a buldge in the trunk where the license plate is attached which has affectionately become known as "the perky butt", no rolled edge around the cockpit to name a few.
Don

[ August 08, 2004, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Don DePontee ]

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
I had pictures online (took them down a while ago) of my FFR next to an original Comp 427 Cobra and you can barely notice the differences.
to an untrained eye the cars will be the same.

SERGIO
---------------------
"Project SuperCobra" underway....
2003 SVT Cobra Donor with only 5K miles

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
Originally posted by a65SSnake:
Just one opinion,it's not that they're not accurate,they're just kind of nasty.Especially the carbon fiber ones.
Joe - I understand this is your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it. However, I am curious what you are using for comparison to the FFR body when you call it nasty?
Having seen many kit car bodies - some of which were lauded to be the best in the business, I have to say that the FFR body rates a full on 8.5 out of a possible 10. The only thing, in my opinion, that is keeping the FFR body from scoring higher points is that they need to take a little better care when bolting the molds together so the alignment is perfect. When they are off, just a skosh, there is more work to do in the fender and quarter panel tops. It's still not that bad though..

·
3,875 Posts
OK, I take it back :eek:
Don

[ August 09, 2004, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: Don DePontee ]

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,464 Posts
Randy,

The FFR body, as it comes from the factory, requires the most prep time as compared to other Cobra replica manufacturers. Dave Smith and I have spoken about this for years. I've seen the product out of the original set of molds (within the first 75 cars produced), and just saw a current body from a new FFR owner who stopped by my house on his way back (from FFR) to Wisconsin yesterday afternoon (and 100's in between them both). While there have been MAJOR improvements, there is still quite a bit of room for them to refine their molds, and their molding process. Knowing Dave and company as I do, along with their strive for excellence, I know that they will continue to improve their manufacturing process in regards to the fiberglass products that they currently put out. As for authenticity to the original, there are several places along the body which would not match up to any of the original 427 cars, the doors and how they cut into the rear fender lines, the rear fenders, trunk, and upper rear cowl area just to name a few. As you know, I have owned several FFR's (and will own another in the future once my business gets established and I can afford to have another toy to play with), I like the company, and it's products, but at the same time, I do not believe for a second that they are the most authentic out on the market today.

Just my two reality based cents worth on this subject.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
C6ZZ, from the doors forward, the differences are very small. The hood has the built in scoop as opposed to riveted on. The hood also has the latches much more outboard, than the original cars. The cockpit area doesn't have rolled edges. Honestly that's all I can see that's much different. From the doors back however, is a different story. The rear of the car is VERY different from an original. The rear quarters shoot upwards after the middle of the wheel at both the top and bottom. The shape of the rear fender "humps" as veiwed from behind is much thinner and taller. The trunk on the FFR is also very peaky, and has almost a 90* shape at the rear, whereas the original cars had wide sweeping fender humps and the trunk followed the contour odf the fenders. Whe looking at the FFR from the rear, you can see half the gas tank because of how high the rear kicks up.

I've seen lots of Cobra replica bodies over the years, and I think the FFR body is one of the best made out there. Most other bodies don't have the seams, but they usually require LOTS of bodywork everywhere else. The shaping of the FFR body out of the mold is awesome.

The rear of the car is what prompted me to sell my kit. Looking at an FFR alone the body looks fine. But when I saw two FFRs next to a CSX4000, SP, and ERA car, the rear end was VERY noticable as being not even close to original. Since I was trying to capture the look of an original CSX car with 5132, I felt I could not do anything about the rear shape and decided to sell my car and buy a CSX4000.

BTW, on a related subject, I give a big thumbs up to FFR and all the great owners here. I ordered my Shelby in July, and was told a Nov delivery date. That has since been changed to the car not even being STARTED to be built until after the 1st of the year. Some guys with CSX4000s on order have been waiting since Sept 03 for their cars. Aside from that, from what I've seen and read so far, Shelby has very poor customer service, and the Shelby Owners Forum is a ghost town. I miss my FFR already :( .

·
15,282 Posts
From what I hear, the FFR molds were taken from a Contemporary replica. I also hear that the explanation for the "perky butt" is that the Contemporary Cobra owner had done some mods to his trunk to accommodate his nitrous bottle. I guess that means we all have room for a [email protected]$$ nitrous bottle out back. :rolleyes:

There is currently a post from Dave Smith about "issues" with the last of the MKII bodies and the early MKIII bodies. It really glosses over the problem, in my opinion. To quote an extremely reputable source, "it's the worst fiberglass I've ever seen."

My hood was a complete throw-away -- they found dry fiberglass cloth (no resin at all) in what they thought were pinholes, and the whole area of the hood apparently blew out. At the door top edge (where you wish there was a roll), they burned through the fiberglass -- maybe 1/16" thick. Had to reglass the whole top of the door.

My painter guarantees his work, but not against fiberglass that was crap from Day One. I wish I had started with a better body altogether...current owners with the bad bodies, I recommend you demand a replacement before you start the bodywork and paint process.

Cheers, John

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I've worked with composites in the marine industry for 30 years. To suggest the FFR body requires the most prep of any kit has had no experience with ERA. In addition, to demand a replacement body before doing the body prep is absurd. The paint process is followed by the body prep. Not the other way around. Most painters have little experience with fibreglass and are smart enough not to touch it with a ten foot pole. In the boat yards separate departments do lamination and painting.

Expecting a lifetime guarantee on a paint job is unrealistic and savy painter will assess the customer before agreeing to a contract. In the real Cobra world even broken bodies can be fixed. MK I through MK III bodies are proof that a pretty paint job only comes after the prep craftsmen are finished.

The incredible percentage of FFR owners that intentionally and carefully plan their build within a reasonable time frame and produce exceptional results are proof that it can be done.

Roger

·
15,282 Posts
Roger may feel my opinion is absurd...he's not the first, and he won't be the last. I am sure that his experience in fiberglass is far greater than mine, but he might hesitate a bit more before calling SRP's views absurd. As Roger notes, to a great degree, bad fiberglass can be remediated. But is there any excuse to be paying good money for something that requires more than twice the work of the properly manufactured body? Clearly not.

Doing an additional 50-100 hours of prep work, re-glassing, burning through 1/16" cloth. finding non-resined cloth in between layers...THAT is absurd. If my timeline were not so tight, and if I'd known earlier exactly how poor the affected bodies are, I guarantee you I'd have a new body on the way from FFR. Because they claim to have been able to determine exactly what body production dates are affected -- and because they are becoming more aware by the day that the problems are far greater than they let on -- it's my feeling that customers should have an option to start with a body that was manufactured to proper specs in the first place.

After all, how many MKI bodies were replaced due to failed fiberglass? Plenty, but FFR isn't paying for your repaint. Scares me to death to put $4k + into paint on a body that I have no confidence isn't going to crack in a year. When it rolls off the Stewart truck already delaminating...well, hold the absurds till you've seen one. "The paint process is followed by the body prep." You prep after you paint? Methinks not...or else you've got some funky-looking boats.

I presume Roger's last paragraph implies that my 30-day build goal is not reasonable or well-thought-out, and cannot result in a nice car. Being 90% + finished, I beg to differ, and decline to comment further on such mutually uninformed material.

Cheers, John

[ August 08, 2004, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: dukegrad98 ]

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,293 Posts
Bullsxxt!For $3000 extra,I expect a body AS GOOD or better than stock!Carbon is little harder to lay up than glass,but,you can't expect some chopper gun boat builder to have a clue!Check the carbon on the ricers,or Porsches.
The mold alignment on my body is off 1/4" in places!It may have been built on Friday,but that's no excuse!I want a refund!!!

·
15,282 Posts
Hey, Joe --

How do you really feel? Don't hold back on us.... :D

I won't disagree with you at all, and we said more or less the same thing in different tones. Obviously you've seen a different version of some of the stuff I've seen in my fiberglass body.

Cheers, John

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,293 Posts
Go ahead,push me!I'll bet I could build a vacuumed bagged glass body,,for half the price of the FFR carbon.Same weight,SEE BOAT BUILDING.

·
15,282 Posts
Come on...LET IT ALL OUT!!! Internalizing your feelings is unhealthy, Joe. :D

Chopper gun boat builder... lmao

Cheers, John

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,739 Posts
The original cars had more variances then what we would call a standard production car.

All of the kits are a little different and it does not, necessarily, depend how much authenticity you want.

If you want to be picky then you will drive yourself crazy with any car, probably even the orginal since most actually came with 428's or 429's not the 427. Is it really a Cobra without a 427 side oiler.

I considered an original 289, not too bad pricewise, but I came to the conclusion that I did not want to regularly drive a legend. We want to travel in out car and use it without working about damaging and expensive piece of irreplaceable auto history. If the FFR gets wrecked its replaceable.

Pay your money and take your choice, the problem is what do you choose given the diverse nature of the original beast?

Of the different cars I have seen, the FFR's are right in the ballpark. I am not looking back or making excuses.

Rick

1 - 20 of 53 Posts