Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bob Z's TDI G3F Build

I'm a bit late in starting a build thread for my G3F Beta #9, but here's the first installment from back in April-May:

I'm posting my build of Beta kit #9 for those interested in the Smyth Performance G3F mid-engine sports car conversion for the MkIV Jetta and 4-door MkIV Golf. My particular build began with a 2004 Jetta TDI (BEW, 5-spd, 180,000mi, bad cam/lifters, etc.) purchased specifically for this project.

I hope to help provide some small insight into the conversion process through the following time lapse videos and progress posts...

My Build Specifics (with TDIClub sources):
BEW 1.9 TDI
Chrome journal replacement cam, slotted bearings and cap mods (Frank06)
Passat cast iron exhaust manifold ported to Darkside Developments GTB adapter (RyanP)
Garrett GTB2260VK (RyanP)
SDI Scroll intake (RyanP)
4-Bar MAP (RyanP)
Firad +80% injectors (RyanP)
O2M EFF 6-Speed (RyanP)
Peloquin LSD (RyanP)
South Bend Stage II Silent Endurance clutch/pp
Audi TT front suspension/brakes for both front and rear
Type 20 long flow air/water intercooler (very low restriction, rated to 350HP)

General information for the Smyth Performance G3F is at:
https://www.facebook.com/SmythPerfor...06171216118819

Additional sites, posts and build info available at:
www.facebook.com/SmythPerformance
www.ffcars.com

There will be a complete time lapse with everything to date, but this is a start.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
Hey Bob, glad my old photos were some use in your radiator mount project. I'm on the hunt for shifter parts from your vintage donor; my early one (1999.5) is causing me some problems! I love to watch your time-lapse stuff, thanks for going to the trouble.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi John, What parts do you need for the shifter? RyanP sent me one with my 6-speed and my original one was fine, so I have two complete units.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
Wow, if you have the newer iteration shift cables, cable bracket that bolts to the tranny, and shift tower from atop the tranny, I would be glad to buy em. Save me laying on my back under a Jetta at the Pick and Pay! I already have the cast aluminum shift box and shift handle, just need everything else. Let me know if that's doable, and thanks again

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Step 2: Jetta meets Sawzall!

Here's Step 2 of my build: the rough and final cuts on the Jetta shell...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Step 3: Assembly Begins!

Here's Step 3 of my build: Assembly begins, front and rear frames, fuel tank, radiator, wiring, etc...

This brings the whirlwind tour of my build progress up to date!

Now to find some Audi TT suspension parts :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While I'm waiting for Audi TT suspension parts, time to make changes to some engine parts: I modified the coolant pipe that runs across the front of my BEW TDI engine to route the heater fitting towards the front (nipple on right) rather than the rear. I cut off the last bend that went back to the heater core, removed about 10" of pipe, and welded it to the remainder.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The exhaust manifold is stock VW Passat, ported to a Darkside Developments GTB flange to mount the GTB2260VK turbo. The boss for the EGR had to be removed to clear the SDI scroll intake. The hole was welded shut with some Ni rod then ground. After checking fit it will be black ceramic coated.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm working some BEW TDI engine upgrades: here are photos of the turbo/exhaust/intake setup. I'll need to mount it all to the engine to test fit and determine the placement of the support bracket for the AWIC. Firad +80% injectors have also been installed.

The gtb2260vk is mounted to a Passat manifold ported to a Darkside adapter plate, the AWIC will be supported with a fabricated bracket welded to the SDI intake. The total plumbing consisted of only two 180 degree elbows (2.25" and 2.5"). I'm keeping the SDI ASV; there's a thread with instructions to convert the wiring to my BEW harness.

Overall a fairly compact package.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bob, I got no picture!
Thanks John.

Hmm. It shows up on my screen, when I check the image in the photo album it's there but says "Picture Waiting Moderator Approval"; perhaps it takes some time to be approved? Or the image quality/size?

I'll try editing.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
Pic probably "too racy"" for publication without mod approval!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I deleted the original pic and re-posted a smaller (~800x600) one.

Is it visible now? :confused1:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
To minimize the overall size of the intake/AWIC assembly I decided to eliminate mounts and weld the intercooler directly to the SDI scroll manifold (after shaving off the threaded mount on the manifold side of the AWIC). This gave some additional clearance between the AWIC and turbo hotside/exhaust piping. I'm fabricating a stainless heat shield to mount beneath the intercooler.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts