Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will this blueing ever come off on these headers? I bought some 302 compound. I have not tried to use it.
15891381717086974166252255644344.jpg
20200506_142550.jpg

·
Registered
278 Posts
It doesn't come off by itself. I've had that same bluing for 16 years on the side pipes and it won't go away. Got a tub of compound 302 as well.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't come off by itself. I've had that same bluing for 16 years on the side pipes and it won't go away. Got a tub of compound 302 as well.
Ha! Sorry if I implied that I was thinking it would just come off.

I figured lots of elbow grease will be involved. Just curious if it was worth taking the 302 compound to the headers. I would rather have it all blued them partially cleaned. If you get what I'm saying

Jason

·
Registered
278 Posts
Your post made made me take a look at my side pipes closer and it's quite pitted and there some oxidation around the curved pipes. Caswell plating sells a kit to do stainless polishing. I have an old kit with the paste and wheels. But back to your bluing. It might be worth it to take them out and clean them up. The compound 302 allegedly works in a minute with some rubbing. All the other metal polishes ... not so much. Tried, cried, and tossed in the towel.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
You're still building and not officially on the road with a lot of miles yet, right? If so, that seems like a lot of discoloration to me. If they're stainless (looks like they are) then Compound 302 will likely make them look better. But at this point you may be chasing a losing proposition. Especially once you start really driving it. Headers will always discolor a little. Some engines more than others. But sometimes indicates something isn't exactly right. Like timing or too lean.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes on 1st start up. I had a professional do 1st startup. Something was wrong. It blued the headers quickly. They adjusted for me. He explained what was wrong and fixed it.

Yes only 30 miles so far. And there was something wrong. Hopefully it was fixed. So maybe one good cleaning and then it will blue normally.

Jason

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
Yes on 1st start up. I had a professional do 1st startup. Something was wrong. It blued the headers quickly. They adjusted for me. He explained what was wrong and fixed it.

Yes only 30 miles so far. And there was something wrong. Hopefully it was fixed. So maybe one good cleaning and then it will blue normally.

Jason
OK. That's good additional information. You can use some Compound 302 to make them better, like I said. They will never stay shiny and bright though like the side pipes. At least in my experience. I mainly use the Compound 302 on the part of the side pipes that curve out through the body. Occasional treatment there keeps them shiny new. If stainless of course.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too was what seem like constantly cleaning the stailess side pipes with the compund 302. It works pretty well but you have to put it on uniformly and get it off to get a nice even appearance. Works like magic but a pain. Not the cheapest solution....my headers from FFR were ceramic coated so I took my stainless side pipes and sent them to Jett-Hot and had them ceramic coated to match the headers. No more issues.

Steve

Reactions: jhargrove

·
Charter Member
6,157 Posts
All stainless turns blue/brown with heat, it is the nature of the material.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,915 Posts
Don't worry the blue will go away all by itself!!!

It will turn a nasty crusty brown!

Compound 302 is the only thing that I have used that will help.

·
Charter Member
1,775 Posts
Several years ago we were in London for the Cobra Show and one of my buddies distributor came loose and advanced the timing. He has chrome side pipes and they turned a awful color of black, blue, green, gold, you name color. I though he would buy new headers and side pipes. A month later I saw his car and the pipes looked new! I asked if he bought new pipes, he answered I cleaned them up with Blue Magic. I bought a tub and it's a great polish.

BlueMagic

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Had excellent results with this. Wipe it on wipe it off.

·
Registered
440 Posts
You can clean it till you turn blue in the face, but it will come back when the the surface temperature gets to about 700 deg F. The gold color starts at about 400 deg F, and the red tint is somewhere in the middle. The "color" is the result of a thin oxide layer that forms on the steel (stainless or otherwise), and this oxide layer acts as a light wavelength reflector. If you clean it, it will simply regrow when it gets hot again. Enjoy the pretty colors.

·
Charter Member
1,775 Posts
I had my stainless pipes silver ceramic coated. Best of both worlds

1 - 20 of 22 Posts