Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Guys. I wasn't paying attention and one of my domain names expired, (tangentcobra.com). It was snatched up by domain speculators thinking I'd be willing to pay big bucks to get it back . . . not!

Anyway, it's come to my attention that some have tried to purchase kits only to find that the vendor link on these pages took them to places unintended. That has now been corrected (with Bill's help, thank you) so now the site is available to all.

Click the Tangent Banner or visit
http://www.thewoodsideinn.com

"The Blind Roll Bar Attachment Kit" eliminates the "through" bolt at the top of the downtube. This does away with the frankenstein bolt and makes for an extremely clean installation.

Works on chrome, powder coat and paint, no welding required. You can get info and order at www.thewoodsideinn.com

All the best, Don

·
Senior Charter Member
188 Posts
Thanks.
Glad to see you're back.
Order just placed & PayPal sent.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Welcome back Don... how's life in FL these days?

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, Guys. 65cobrabob thanks for the order. Good luck on the build.

Hey, Ken - the short of it is we're cookin. No substantial rain in a while as well. I think Florida is going to be the nation's new desert.

Just finished major home renovations and maintenence. Kept me away from my own build. The body is painted and I'm at wiring the guages now. Go karting is in the near future.

Here's a couple of pics of paint.

All the best, Don

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Don,I got tot ask the color, code or year on this one, both stripes and the rest of the car. Looks KILLER.

Cheers,

Kouros

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,435 Posts
Don, WOW! Those body mods are awesome! I can't wait to see that thing with the lights in it! WAY cool my friend!

-Mike

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, Guys. Thanks for the good words. It's been a labor of love.

Kouros, I'll have to check back with the painter for the exact colors on the stripes (silver with a burgundy center) but the body color is the same as on the Nissan 350Z, "graphite." It's the "modified" choice of two versions that has a slightly different flake in it. The color has a lot of character and changes hue depending on light. Sometimes it almost has a greenish cast to it. Pictures really don't do it justice.

The headlights were a challenge, the object here was to get them flush as seen from the side, I've got new bulbs from a hot rod source that havea smooth glass lens. Really sharp. The tailights are FFR units but frenched in as you can see, from the side they are not visible and the openings compliment the openings on the sidepipes. (damn, sounds like an interior decorator statement) From the back they are perfectly round.

But, as they say, "that aint the half of it." What till you see the hood, doors and trunk. The've all gotten the Don E. Baby, treatment as well.

Let's have some fun.

All the best, Don

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
Very nice work! What product did you use for the fiber glass work? I want to do something to the tail light area on my car, to get away from the "bolted on look" of the supplied tail lights. I'm not going to be finishing the bodywork, (I hate body work) but need to use something that is compatable, so I don't get yelled at by the painter.
BTW, I bought headlights from Cobra Valley. They're smooth glass that has a slight dome, and use replacable halogen bulbs. They fit the FFR headlight buckets like they were made for them.
Thanks, John

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
"from the side they are not visible"

forgive me if I'm mistaken, but doesn't that make them illegal?

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, Guys.

J Persons, all of the basic bodywork is epoxy, glass cloth and mat. If you aren't familiar with epoxy use, it will pay to study up on it. The working time, adhesion, and quality are far superior to polyester resins for this type of customizing. Of course it's a little more expensive as well but you won't be disappointed. There are a few companies that sell the stuff but a great place to start for information is -

http://www.systemthree.com/index_2.asp

After the body modifications are done then following the recipes for materials and processes as has been posted on this site by the supporting painters/finishers is the only way to go.

As far as the headlight bulbs, sounds like we've both got the same thing.

Mike C. Good point - I anticipate having a pretty good reflection in the cutout itself. The lens itself is the only thing that is not visible from the side. However, it is just barely so. If it becomes a problem then a side marker light would solve the problem I guess.

All the best, Don

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Looks great anyway. I ordered a couple of your rigs to get the clean look on the roll bars.
I like the way the rolled nose lip looks.

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey, Mike. Yeah, a couple other fellas have done that and I liked it so much that I decided to do it as well. One of the things that makes a difference in a body that is "pulled" from a mold is that there has to be "draft" or relief in the part. That keeps the final part from having too many dimensional changes. Rolled lips on the cockpit or nose, french-in openings and the like demand too many parting lines and that translates into labor and complexity. Just a little more work and you can transform it into something truly unique. Not just another slot car body. Anyway that's my personal penchant. Of course I came from the era of custom vans and trying to turn sheet metal boxes into something that was if not different, at least presentable.

With that being said I realized when the body rolled out of the paint booth that I had made a serious mistake. I had created yet another item in my life that owned me instead of the other way around. This car is too nice to thrash about on the race course like I intended. It would be foolish to do so and I would be broken hearted if serious harm came to it from being foolish (read fun) with it. So it will be relegated to Sunday cruises and occasional short trips and maybe some activities with clubs, etc.

I bought a 1991 mustang LX, which would've be a perfect donor and will convert that to a dedicated track car, fun car. This will be the one with the gutted interior, and driveway paint job. But when you step on the gas and ratchet through the gears . . . glorius(sp).

There's serious talk of a race complex being built here in Jacksonvile, http://www.firstcoastracing.com/
if that comes to pass it will be something that we've dreamed of for years and a forum for having fun with car in all kinds of venues. I'm building the mustang to coincide with that possibility. My next big goal is to get my track license and be ready for when/if this happens.

I would leave many of you builders with this thought, have fun building your car and build your car for fun. There are plenty of cars already out there to impress others. At the end of the day the two of you are alone and you need to ask yourself who/did did you build it for? To show others how much talent/money you have or to show yourself what it is really about - being one with a machine, trust in your workmanship, pushing yourself and machine to do just a little better time. This is a great hobby, one that has niches for all - make sure that you don't lose sight of why you are building yours. You may not get another chance in life to do anything like this.

Hope to see many of you there.

All the best, Don

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Amen to that.
Competition comes in many flavors.
As a tradesman, I often have to stop and ask why I put craftsmanship into my work if it takes longer. Reason is, it's for me.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
WOW Don! I love the work you did on your body! I'm really looking forward to the finished pics.

Mike M.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts