Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have thoughts on the durability of the black side pipes? Love the look, but worry about how long they'll last. Are they coated with a special paint or other high temp finish? I did a search on the forum, but could find any info, so I appolgize in advance if this topic has already been answered.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
You can coat them with ceramic coating or BBQ paint. The ceramic coating lasts a lot longer but is way more expensive as you need to send the to a coater to have it done.

Mike

·
Charter Member
1,734 Posts
My Cobra is over 8 years old and every 10 to 12 months of daily driving I mask the car with a piece of cardboard and spray the top parts of the pipes black. Really, it is no big deal. Looks good. My favorite part of black pipes is that people rarely have them. My car ALWAYS looks different in the midst of a gaggle of Cobras. My roll bar is black with roll bar padding and tape on it, and my quick jacks are black as well. Cheap, good looking, and cheap! : ) -John

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I used VHT high temp black. In ten years I only repainted once due to the sandblast effect on the front of the pipes. People complain about the high temp paints burning off headers. Heres what I have found works. Take teh brand new headers and clean all the cheap paint off them. Laquer thiner usually works. Spray three light coats and install. Start the car for about ten seconds let cool. Start again for maybe 20 seconds. Let cool. Tighten the header bolts and start again for maybe 30 seconds. If you see smoke turn the engine off and let cool. Keep repeating until you can run the car and see no smoke. The headers an a car I stored in 1987 still look great. The mufflers have rotted away. The paint burn off due to solvent blow if you don't cook it on slowly.
Thanks,
Michael D.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree jperickson2001, the black looks serious race. My plan is silver with black stripes, black sidepipes, black roll bar, and black quick jacks. Should look good. Thanks to everyone else for taking the time to post, especially Mike (again, sorry to hear about your engine failure).

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
if you want a pic of mine just ask.

mike

·
Super Moderator
29,535 Posts
I had mine ceramic coated black

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,659 Posts
Thurmalox Stove Paint , Satin Black . Grit Blast the side pipes first . I bought this stuff mail order and overbought . Have 5 12oz. spray cans left . Used 2 1/2 cans on the pipes . Will sell the 5 unused cans for $6 a can plus S&H.

Check out their website and their price.

·
Senior Charter Member
574 Posts
Mine are black and looking good! Had them powdercoated for $150. May have been a waste but the powdercoater assured me it would work. He is an industrial powdercoater and has been doing motorcycle pipes for some time with no problems. Time will tell.....

·
Cone Killer
1,781 Posts
I used Jet Hot 2000 , it is a flat black coating that has a slight texture to it. I think it looks nice for that low bling look.

·
FFR Driver
2,154 Posts
Rustolium BBQ paint from HD/Lowes. Almost 25K miles. I use the above methods to touch up once a year. Takes 5 min. A $5 can will last a couple of years.

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
I too used the VHT high temp black. Cleaned the sidepipes well before painting and it seems to hold up fine!

·
3,596 Posts
Rustoleom BBQ does it for me.Goes on and dries fast.easy to touch-up.

·
iBuild
5,824 Posts
For the people who went with the ceramic coating, is there any noticable temperature difference on the pipes? I know I want to go black, but have been leaning towards ceramic coating if it will reduce the temp a bit.

_Scott

·
4,318 Posts
Krylon BBQ paint here. It will give you just a little sheen. The Rustoleum is a total flat black.
IF the pipes get a little shabby looking, then a new coat of paint and it looks great again.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Wow it seems I might be NUTS :eek: If I get mine ceramic coated. Their black now (sort of a stove pipe black). I have a 2nd set being done as we speak at Sweet-Thuder. I was then going to get them ceramic coated. Many of you have gone a far less expensive route that works very well. I'm not sure if the ceramin coating cuts down the heat migration or not. I'd like to save some money...for once. I am curious if there's a way to know if the ones on the car now were ceramic coated. Does anyone know if there's a way to tell ????? Black is very traditional looking but chrome / silver has some class too.

·
1,648 Posts
I went with the BBQ flat black....LOVE IT.
Its cheap and easy to touch up and just looks NASTY.

·
Charter Member
1,734 Posts
I'll tell you a big plus to a can of paint vs powder coating. My 8 year old pipes have cracked a few times since I've owned them and I just take them off, weld, paint, and they are good. If I had powder coated pipes I would be out hundreds of $$$. My two cents. -John

·
Registered
456 Posts
I spent a litle bit of time with a grinder w/sand disc to clean up the welds and splatter preped with laquer thinner used a high temp flat black.I have touched up once in 8000 miles I like the way they look.

Ernie

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ernie, Where did you get your wheels and what size are they?
Shandy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts