Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Greek
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, nothing to do with the Bilstein issues.(well kinda).
I put my coilovers together a while back and no washers were included. The updated shock installation procedure, mentions as a fix or break prevention, to ad washers. Home depot does not have anything in 7/16 and Lowes has some but they are not thick enough to come on top of the lip of the hat but the diameter is corect to fill the hat recess.
Where can I get some that would come flush with the brim of the hat. I assume 2 is (one on top of the other is not a good idea)
Please help.

http://www.factoryfive.com/table/whatsnew/tech/shocks/updatedprocedure.html

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Sam:
I'll give you mine. You'll need to supply your own zipties though unless I can find some (I'm sure I have some)

PM me with your address!

·
The Greek
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PM sent.
You got to love the people of this forum.
You are the best!!!

·
The Greek
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, I got zipties already.
Thanx

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Sam, I have the same (latest version)of the Bilsteins as you. Mine also came without the washers for the spring hat. I called ffr(3 times) on this and was told "not" to use washers with the new hats. Was told the new hats that are recessed on the heim joint end don't use the washer. For what it's worth :confused:

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
There's a "newer" hats are machined with a thicker flange than the older ones that needed the washers. So the newer won't need the washers.

[ June 28, 2007, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: convincor ]

·
iBuild
5,824 Posts
Ditto here, picked up kit in December, told not to use the washers it doesn't apply to the latest version.

-Scott

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
As stated above, the washers were only an interim fix until the newer, stronger hats came out.

Sam, you are OK without them.

Steve

·
Junior Charter Member
467 Posts
Same setup no washers, I got my kit last October and with all of the posts about shock breakage I was thinking about calling FFR to find out. When did the "newer, stronger hats came out" anybody know?

Paul

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Anyone have pictures of what is new and old , my bilsteins are the from Canadian supplier purchased in January and came with no washers.
Thanks

·
65 FANGS
522 Posts
Got my kit last July, I used washers, but I had to buy them. Now I wonder if they are needed with mine?
Pics please, Hats - old versus new would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
No pic but when looking at the hat opposite side the spring would seat to. The small round recess is just large enough for the nut(hiem end lock nut)to clear the sides of this recess. A regular 1/4" flat washer would'nt fit into this recess let alone a 7/16" washer. If used it would sit on top the recess,not into it.

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Thanks a lot , it appears that I do have the upgraded shocks.

Martin

·
The Greek
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just got an email from FFR after asking about the washers and they told me that washers are NOT needed for the new shocks. I have all my suspension in place, my 3-link, my lines, my brake lines etc and I freaked out with all this Bilstein issues so wanted to make sure.
Thank you guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts