Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 365 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building some web pages to document the dirty details but I'll be posting some of the highlights here also. The web pages can be found in the link in my sig.

Nothing much going on yet, but I am starting to collect some parts...

I need to play with orientation and clocking once I've mounted the engine in the engine bay, and I may have to give up trunk space for the turbo. Sounds like a good tradeoff to me :)

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
Hi Bill -

While some of this may be a bit premature - How about a good high-level overview of what your G3F build might be?

• Intended Use
  • Engine & Mods
  • Transaxle & Mods
  • Interior & Mods
  • HVAC
  • Sound System
  • Wheels / Tires
  • Color schemes
Just sharing your thoughts about what this car will be all about will help form the foundation of a good build log...

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good point, as usual Randy. I've posted many of those details in various places over the past year or so, but it would be a good thing to have at the top of this thread.

Mine will be a street/track build based on a 12V Mk4 Vr6. I'm building a turbocharged system pushing about 15 pounds of boost to get 300(ish) hp for daily driving and will bump that a bit more for track days. I'll use a headspacer to drop the compression to 9:1. My goal is to use low cost parts in non-critical roles with a higher quality turbo and pressure control devices, yielding a relatively low cost turbo system with high reliability. I spent a little extra money on the Precision Turbo 5857SP to get the high efficiency of the ceramic ball bearings, billet turbine, and surge suppressing housing expecting fast spool-up and a wide torque curve. I'll use an upgraded clutch (tbd), LSD, and stock 5 speed trans and axles, at least until something breaks :).

For the cold side a 4" air filter feeds the 4" maf housing which connects to the 4" compressor inlet. On the pressure side I'll use 2.5" plumbing to the AAIC under the rear shelf area. First pass I'm hoping to get away with the stock intake manifold and cams to keep costs down, and probably upgrade cams and intake later.

The hot side depends on how much room I have for packaging when Mark gets done. I'd like to use the ATP clone manifold pictured above because of cost and ease of mounting. If I can't make it work I'll build a custom Y to fit the stock exhaust manifold to position the turbo where I need it, but that adds cost and complexity. A 3" exhaust completes the hot side including flex pipe, high flow cat and dual outlet muffler similar to what Mark has shown recently.

42 lb. Ford injectors, 255 lph pump and some mods to allow the stock fuel rail to work with the non-stock injectors will provide enough fuel without breaking the budget. I have an ECU for this setup with C2 software but am discussing other possibilities with some VW tuners. I'll post more on that as things develop.

HVAC, interior & sound - just stock. I don't care about music, it's just another distraction for the driver. Besides, Id' rather make my own. A new carpet is about all I have planned. The seats Mark is showing are comfortable and light, the same ones I chose for my 928 track car a few years back. They will do fine. Same for wheels & tires, Mark's choices look good to me. I will need a spare set of wheels with Michelin X-Ice for the winter, probably skinny little 205's, and another spare set of wheels for the track tires, probably Hoosiers, as fat as I can fit in the wheel wells.

Colors are still up in the air. I like the candy apple red that was used on some of the early renderings, but have also been looking at some stunning orange roadsters lately. Whatever color it is, I'll spray paint it and probably use a clear film on the nose to help keep the rock chips down. I'll probably be doing some body mods, too. Brake cooling ducts, cold air intake duct, maybe even some mods to the nose to get the hot air out the top instead of under the car. Rear wing, front air dam, splitter, front winglets are all under consideration. I live on a long dirt road so all of these mods need to be dirt road friendly. Two inch ground clearances don't work here.

Of course all of this is subject to change as things develop. It will be real interesting watching the other beta builders to see what they do.

·
Registered
304 Posts
"I'd like to use the ATP clone manifold pictured above because of cost and ease of mounting"
choice location for the external waste gate, but I can't help but think about how the trunk wouldnt be a concern at all with a more remote setup, as well as better, more even flow across the cylinders. Most excited to see Mark's green car image can still have some balls. This idea really epitomizes the diversity of build options.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Back from the dead

I've been cleaning lately - cleaning and painting. Cleaning, painting, and polishing. With some more cleaning thrown into the mix.

So far I have...

TT front brakes

5 speed trans w/ LSD

Lots of little brackets painted and covers polished. The block is out having the new pistons fitted. Things are moving once again!

Hopefully more parts coming soon!

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Started gutting the interior...

I'm almost ready to cut!

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
Go Wild Bill!!! Yours will be an awesome build, can't wait to see.

·
Rookie
309 Posts
Bill is that your kit Mark is staging for this weekend? Any idea if it will be complete with all the parts included?

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, that's mine. (!!!) I'm not exactly sure what is shipping but I expect the top, door tops, triangle behind the front wheel, and exhaust to be missing. Maybe a few other small parts. I expect most of the rest will be ready - assuming it comes back from powder coating!

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got hung up in powder coating - not happening tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
We made our third annual visit to Smyth Performance this morning, and this time we came home with a kit! Or at least most of a kit, a few items are on the backorder list, but enough for me to get started building!

We spent a couple of hours talking with Mark and the guys before loading up and heading home. Mark's putting together a great team while building the foundation of a new company. It's looking good, Mark!

Pics are up at Smyth Performance GF - Picking up the kit

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
Very cool Bill... Will be watching your progress!

Congratz!

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a few new pics to add but have been too busy to get them out of the camera. I'm almost ready to cut, just waiting on front end parts from Wareham so I can make it a roller asap after the cut.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
Bill, the cutting up of the donor Jetta is about the most fun part of the build! Have a blast; hope you have a few friends to cheer you on, and to help LIFT the severed head at the appropriate time. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Crappy cell phone pic of the day

Need to gut the doors and finish off the dash then I'm ready to cut.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Forget the sawzall

I found the right tool for the job!

1 - 20 of 365 Posts