Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These turned out so cool looking I thought I'd share. I had wedges made out of aluminum and the machined finish matches the polished pipes nicely. I'll post pics of it installed when I get the car back on the ground. I'm doing some work in the wheel wells for the next few days.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Look nice for sure. So I have to ask though. The manifolds and pipe flanges are steel. The wedges from Breeze (GAS-N) are also steel. Is aluminum up the task? I don't have an opinion. Just asking...

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
They do look nice.

I have a question though. What happens to the exhaust gasses when there is a gap between the header pipe and side pipe?

·
Premium Member
5,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look nice for sure. So I have to ask though. The manifolds and pipe flanges are steel. The wedges from Breeze (GAS-N) are also steel. Is aluminum up the task? I don't have an opinion. Just asking...
I thought about that. My thought was I already have steel headers on aluminum heads so I didn't think this will be an issue. 6061 melting point is much higher then the part should see.

They do look nice.

I have a question though. What happens to the exhaust gasses when there is a gap between the header pipe and side pipe?
Not sure I understand.... A leak between the two could cause a "pop" under decel.
Or are you referring to the mixing of gasses where the two parts bolt together? When I removed the side pipe the original gasket had disintegrated between the header and side pipe.

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Not sure I understand.... Or are you referring to the mixing of gasses where the two parts bolt together? When I removed the side pipe the original gasket had disintegrated between the header and side pipe.
It looks like that spacer would create a gap between the header tubes and side pipes so they wouldn't mate up. But I am thinking of 4 x 4 headers and side pipes.

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,825 Posts
Nice job. Always wished one of the vendors would make the wedges in Al or Stainless. Got my steel ones painted and installed with gaskets on each side.

·
Coolest Puzzle ever !
1,305 Posts
Cool

Very Nice!!!

Mk4

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.