Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I did some searching, and came up empty-handed. I want a nice set of Billet pulleys for my car, but I don't want underdrive pulleys, just standard size. I have the OEM crank, water pump, and alternator pulleys.

Any good recommendations? I surfed March's website, but didn't find anything.

Thanks,

Greg

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Hard to find but they do exist. do a search here because this was discussed a couple of months ago and several sources were named. I think Mike Forte had them. I ended up buying a set of powder coated donors on E-Bay.

·
5,042 Posts
Just curious, why not go for underdrive? are you running a 600 watt stereo or something?

Cars are designed so that when you sit in traffic with everything on, including your heated seats, rear screen defroster, heater, radio, wiper, lights etc the battery will still not run down.

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2savage:

I'm not opposed to underdrive pulleys at all, but it is my impression, after reading countless discussions about them on this forum, that they are not necessarily a good thing. Seems like I remember reading about water temps running a bit high due to them. Maybe I'm wrong, so please advise. I don't have stereos or any of that nonsense in my car, so I'm probably don't need to be worried about the alternator keeping up.

And should I really believe March's claims of 12.5HP at the wheels with this bolt on? Seems pretty far-fetched. Any of our forum members corroborate this claim?

·
Senior Charter Member
1,051 Posts
Some underdrive pully sets such as the one I have from March, but removed, come with a very small alternator pully to help speed it back up. That means the ac, h2o, ps and anything else will run slower but the alt will be at closer to normal speed to run the fan lights ignition fuel pump and whatever else you have running at idle.

·
Senior Charter Member
613 Posts
I changed from underdrive to standard pulleys and have not noticed any changes in water temps., etc.

Its alot easier to find underdrive pulleys for these motors. I wouldn't stress about it, especially if you can pick up some power in the trade.

I removed mine because of the supercharger install.

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just opened up my Summit catalog, and in the 5.0 section toward the rear of the catalog, there's a small section of March pulley kits. MCH-2010 looks like the standard size pulley kit I'm after.

·
6,332 Posts
The straight underdrives or the Power and Amp series pulleys will let the water temp creep up if your are stuck in traffic idling for an extended period in hot weather. Speeding up the engine to about 1200 RPMs will bring it right back down. FWIW
Frank

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Jeg's has some. Pete

·
Charter Member
103 Posts
I had the March set on my 429 for 12 years and finally got tired of the lights dimming at idle when driving at night. They sell an individual smaller alternator pulley which I bought last year and it cured that problem. Just took 12 years for me to get around to do it. The fan is what is the big current draw. Never had temp problems, possibly because of dual filters and an oil cooler.

Al

·
Junior Charter Member
1,524 Posts
I have been researching the same thing. The MCH-2010 is part of their performance series, the MCH-2015 is in the power and amp series. The power and amp series is recommended for higher electrical loads and automatic transmissions. I plan on getting the 2015 just to be safe.

http://www.marchperf.com/pg29.html

Todd

·
Official OLD GUY
3,875 Posts
gbranham,

Depending on what Alternator you have it may not matter at all. Larger (100 amp) alternators put out more amperage at lower RPM then smaller Alternators (55 amp).

If you go with a smaller pully on a hi-amperage alternator it will act like a smaller alternator, putting out less amperage at idle but still putting out more then a smaller alternator at slow speed.

If the water pump and the crank pully are approximately the same diameter there will no noticable loss in RPM for the pump.

Most factory alts turn at about 3 times the crank speed while the pump usually turns at the same speed. Some "police Interceptor and Taxi service" crank pullies are just a bit larger to spin the water pump faster during long periods of idleing, about 1:1.25.

I'm going thru the same issue right now too and was looking at the pullies that Mike Fortes' has as they are Billet and I believe smaller but proportional so things stay in perspective.

HTH

Doc

1 - 16 of 16 Posts