Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's the foot box that I made to take care of 2 birds with one stone. Bigger for passenger and mods to the top to accommodate more room for Heat/AC unit being moved

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been working on this for 2 years already. I just wasn't posting until I had more done. So this is kind of a post, post :)

Jim

·
Registered
588 Posts
Nice work Jim. I did the same thing, but it doesn't look as nice as yours - I've got visible seams on mine. Mine just barely clears the headers with a 302 - if I had a 351, I think it would've touched the headers.

I've got the Vintage Air heater+A/C tucked in there, as well as a small glove compartment. I didn't end up having enough space to mount the wiper motor too, so had to move it to the driver side. Unfortunately, this meant I lost my park-return, as the wipers are at the opposite end of the movement. My wife laughs at me every time I try to perfectly time turning off the wipers at the bottom, and usually miss by a bit.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John,

I don't know if its too late for you to try, but if you simply flip your wiper boxes so the gear portion is up instead of down they will park with the motor park feature wired.

It's just like if you took the assembly in a normal position on the passengers side and rotated the whole assembly 180 degrees, everything is exactly the same if you do this, so the wipers will park.

Hope this information can be helpful.

Take care,

Jim

·
Registered
588 Posts
Thanks Jim; I remember considering that when I was assembling it, but decided not to for some reason. Memory's a bit foggy, but it may have had to do with the curves required in the tubing when the boxes are flipped around to the top. I think I was worried that if there were too many curves, the additional internal friction would make the rather crappy wiper motion even worse than it already is.

That being said, now that I find it rather challenging to stop the wipers at exactly the right spot, I'm thinking flipping the boxes might've been the right choice after all. I have to remove the dash pretty soon anyway (going to finish it with a leather covering), so may flip the boxes at the same time.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,969 Posts
Thanks Jim; I remember considering that when I was assembling it, but decided not to for some reason. Memory's a bit foggy, but it may have had to do with the curves required in the tubing when the boxes are flipped around to the top. I think I was worried that if there were too many curves, the additional internal friction would make the rather crappy wiper motion even worse than it already.
I found the same thing with regards to the curve with the boxes flipped. That was my reason for not switching them. I may try switching them again when I do the final assembly.

Marc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.