Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took the cobra to the autocross sunday and beside being embarrased by how badly I drove ( I got a lot to learn) The right bank was smoking like a fogger on steriods. I pulled the plugs and the 4 or is it 8 cyl', Ford's I never know which is which, was fouled badly. I pulled the valve spring of the intake valve and saw no obvious problems. This occured on heavy braking and after a hard turn to the left. I have a Airgap intake which I have read has had water leaks but has anyone had problems with it leaking air and or oil into the intake port? The motor does not smoke on normar driving only on hard engine braking.
Thanks Brian

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just as a general rule, if it smokes while decelerating it usually means it's sucking oil through the guide. You can't rule out your idea either. I have an FE motor and did have to reinstall my intake manifold. It was sucking oil between the intake manifold and the head. The aluminum surface was machined so smooth the gasket would not seal, so I carefully scuffed the surface with some sand paper and then reinstalled it.

Big Iron

[ April 30, 2002, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: Big Iron ]

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The heads are new, World Product's. We pulled the intake and saw no evidence of leaks of oil but the casting is not large enough to seal the water passage. This was a problem which has been posted before. It is an Air Gap manifold. I called the tech people and the told me to return it to Jegs. He said there has been a "revison" made on this piece.
Now we suspect that the PVC valve is my problem with the smoke. There is no baffle under the valve and under hard braking and side G's its is sucking a bunch of oil. I hope this is it.

Brian

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,655 Posts
If you had one of the early Air Gaps that did not seal the passenger side water passage then you would have found coolant in the valley and in the oil. Your engine wouldn't have run for too long since you would have pumped all the coolant into the valley and then into the block. I am speaking from experience. I had one of the early Air Gaps.

Olli

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ollie
I do in fact have an earkly airgap and it is the passenger side coolant passage. I lucked out beacause the tiny bit of RTV just kept the waterport sealed. I have pic's which I will try to post. I can't believe this did not just blow out.
Brian

·
Registered
482 Posts
I had a similar problem when my engine was assembled. The heads were milled quite a bit to get the compression up. When he put the intake on he didn't check the fit like he should have and after about a week my exhaust was puffing out nice little steam rings. Coolant found it's way into the cylinders. Brand new motor... I was pretty happy about that. Milling the intake fixed it.

If you mill the heads - carefully check the fit of the intake.

Jim

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,655 Posts
Brian,

You were lucky with the RTV. Draining coolant via the oil pan on a brand new motor isn't a very nice feeling.

I hope that Edelbrock treats you better than they treated me. I had to pay to return the manifold to them and wait 2 months for a new one.

The Air Gap runs great with my set up, very strong at mid and top end.

Olli

1 - 8 of 8 Posts