Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
18,090 Posts
Thanks again for shrinking it down and hosting the video for me Joe.

This was the first of two races my Cobra teammate Ken Olson and I were in this last weekend at Brainerd International Raceway.

The first lap we enter Turn 1 at roughly 140mph. It was very windy and the tires were cold on the first lap. Turn 2 is about 10mph or so slower. Turn 3 is roughly 50 mph. I will admit that I was too busy to look at the speedo.

The second lap the tires are feeling much better and we enter T1 at 150mph and T2 at roughly 10mph slower.

Having just had eye surgery for a detached retina, my eyes (both for some reason) are very sensitive to light and fumes. By the second lap my left eye was buring quite badly and the pain was distracting. The right eye was watering so bad I could barely see. Ken, who is still faster than I - but not for long
- gets under me behind an E-Production Miata going into T3. I didn't figure out until a couple of laps later that if I opened my visor that I could actually start to see again. I was just about ready to pull off the track when I had made this discovery. I ended up finishing about 12 seconds behind Ken, but our fastest lap times were .2 seconds apart.

What this video shows is that Spec Racer Cobras can go fast, but Turbo Porsches with much slicker aerodynamics and huge brakes can go even faster!

My car was a handful. I don't blame the 2 year old tires as Ken was experiencing the same "skating" that my car was when we were at speed.

Results - one of the two Porshes had dropped out with a flat tire, the other went on to take 1st place in SPO with Ken and I coming in 2nd and 3rd respectively.

edit - My vision is 20-15 with my new glasses so I was not a hazard on the track. I was, however, driving for almost a full lap (about lap 4) where I could not concentrate very well or see well enough to manage traffic so I pulled over with the visor open until my vision cleared.

[ August 26, 2004, 06:38 AM: Message edited by: Big-Foot ]

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Hi Randy,
I think you should lay of that
Montezuma's SALSA just before the races.
THAT's what's making your eyes water!!!

New Race Rule:
Never eat salsa and wear a closed face helmet!! :D

Thanks for the footage.

Best regards,

·
Orbiting FFCobra.com
778 Posts
That was an awesome video! I want MORE!! Good thing I'm going out to the garage to work on my car, or I'd be driving my Vette like a 'bat' out of hedes going to work right about now

Mark

·
1,573 Posts
Randy that was awesome..I would imagine that you guys have a ball after the race, having a cold one talking about the events that just unfolded.

Be Safe,

T

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
Randy-

Thanks for sharing the video. It was so cool to watch. The one Porsche just flew by and disappeared. It must have a lot of HP. Glad to see you and Ken took 2nd and 3rd.

Thanks again.

2FAST

PS - I wonder how a GT40 or a Daytona Coupe would do against those Porsches?

·
18,090 Posts
I was told that the purple Porsche dyno'ed at 450+hp at the rear wheels. It showed! That is probably twice the RWHP of our Cobras.

Trent - We have a GREAT time in the paddock after the races. We also have Racer Parties a couple of times a year and we bring and share videos to "re-live" the moment.. It's pretty hard to get any better than this without winning all the marbles..

Tom - Point noted on the Salsa! :D

Actually - I really wish I knew what was bothering my eyes that day. I ended up opening my visor once or twice per lap to get some fresh air. It's too dangerous to leave it open as a rock or bug, at the speeds we are traveling, could be devastating!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Does your helmet have vents? If not, you should look into getting a vented helmet. Also some helmets (e.g., Arai) have a lock mechanism that allows the visor to be locked open with a very small gap of about 1/8" to allow venting and prevent fogging in cold weather. The vent gap is very small, and the visor is still covering 100% of the face opening, so a direct hit by a rock or bug would still be deflected, even at the visor's bottom edge.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,848 Posts
Randy, let me know next time you go so I can tag along and learn:) Anyone recognize the straight right before the start??? Can you say 330 mph plus in a top fueler??? They just hosted the nationals there two weekends ago:) That was a good time:)

·
Premium Member
16,323 Posts
OK, 2.5 hrs to download including upgrading Windows Media Player so I had sound. But man was that worth it!! Didn't stop smiling for the whole 5 minutes! Randy, you da man!! That was great!! :D :D :D

Hate to say it but I was glad you got passed so there were some other cars in the footage (one of the major problems with F1 these days). Very nice start by the way.

Time to watch it again!

Thanks!! Rod

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Verry cool. Too bad there was so much wind noise over the sidepipe symphony. Although if the sound was pure I'd have blown my computer speakers :D

·
Arruminum
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you could plug a remote microphone in and put it down on the floor to keep it out of the wind, that would be cool.

·
18,090 Posts
I got an email from Tom Veale about the microphone too. This is what I told him:

Actually I do have a remote Microphone and it is plugged in to the camera and stuffed down in the passenger seat cushion. The unfortunate thing is that no one (not even Sony) can tell me how to turn "OFF" the built in microphone! The External mike makes it go into some sort of Stereo Mode but I have no way of turning off one channel or the other. On the Internal Mike I even have a piece of paper towel duct taped (totally covered) to the camera! I really don't want to take the camera apart though...
--------------

So if anyone knows how to "Nicely" disconnect the internal mike from a Sony DCR TRV-103, I would appreciate knowing how to do it!

·
18,090 Posts
Originally posted by kobrak:
Randy, let me know next time you go so I can tag along and learn:) Anyone recognize the straight right before the start??? Can you say 330 mph plus in a top fueler??? They just hosted the nationals there two weekends ago:) That was a good time:)
It won't be this year, but we will be racing there a couple of times or so next year.. While I can't top 330mph, I bet I hit T1 at least twice as fast as they do! :D

·
18,090 Posts
Originally posted by Roadster:
Does your helmet have vents? If not, you should look into getting a vented helmet. Also some helmets (e.g., Arai) have a lock mechanism that allows the visor to be locked open with a very small gap of about 1/8" to allow venting and prevent fogging in cold weather. The vent gap is very small, and the visor is still covering 100% of the face opening, so a direct hit by a rock or bug would still be deflected, even at the visor's bottom edge.
Roadster, Thanks for the message..

I use a top of the line Bell Helmet - full coverage SA95 Forced-Air-II model. The visor does lock (sort of) in about 4 different positions, but the wind, at times, is enough to move the visor. It will open and latch at about 1/4" open, but I don't trust it. I will be installing my fresh air pumper in the trunk before I race it again. This way I will always have a supply of fresh filtered air forced into my helmet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts