Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine is 460, with March pulleys from Forte. As you can see, the alternator is in the direct path of where the upper rad hose comes through the slot in the "F" panel.

I would appreciate your ideas on routing of the upper hose, or photos of what you did.

Thanks,

td

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the ideas, guys.

Brentt, when I tried to "re-clock" the alternator bracket, the holes on the water pump/engine do not match. The upper holes have the 3" spacing needed, and the lower spot looks to have about 3 1/4". Am I seeing wrong, or measuring at the wrong spot?

BTW, where did you get the valve covers?

Thanks,
td

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I don't remeber exactly how we did it and I don't have a pic of my engine from the front, but I'll try and get one by tomorrow.

I can't remember, but the covers either came from Tony Branda or Cobra restorers.

·
Charter Member
635 Posts
Here's a shot of mine....

I didn't do anything special to change the mounting from the way March designed it. My upper hose has a Breeze filler in line which kinda helps the turn over the alt. My hose actually rests on the alternator and it has the corrugated covering off the 5.0 hose wrapped under it to protect it from any abrasion from the alt.

Hope this helps.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,041 Posts
Tommy I have the same setup and it looks like you did the same thing I did at first,move the ajuster over to the hole on the water pump toward the drivers side.the cooling fins will be close to bracket but it will fit you will need a smaller belt of course,a 445K6 from autozone worked for me.Then I was able to use just a stock mustang hose and t filler to get to radiator wichis a Ron Davis from Fortes,upper neck is welded level,not sure if it will make it if neck is angled down.
Mike

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

mikek - great idea! I also have the Ron Davis rad. I am also going to call "March" this morning, when California wakes up, and see if they have a STRAIGHT bracket that will let the lower alt bolt mount in the bottom hole on the head (shown by the arrow, on the photo)- which is 1 1/4" lower, this would also work perfect.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,041 Posts
I think they just have the one bracket Tommy,but if you move that heim end link on the ajuster over then hose will just rest on top of alternator rather then being pushed up by it.with this new pic.I can see that your dipstick tube is in stock location,you may have to play with that a little,I used the canton pan and dipstick so it is on left side under header.Also you may need to take about an 1/8" off alt.charging post to keep it away from head.
Mike

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Gee, you guys need to get some miles on those big blocks, I didn't realize how dirty my engine was until after looking at your pics! This is on my 70 Lincoln block with DOVEC heads and 5000 happy motoring miles
I don't know about the aluminum heads, the mounting holes may be different. Brent

1 - 11 of 11 Posts