Factory Five Racing Forum banner
101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
1,100 Posts
Lets go back in time........

The goal with my build is to represent an as close to an origional 1966 SC that I can with the FFR kit and some updated technology. The chassis mods include:
-Moved rear bulk head to see the roll bar tubes behind the seat
-Skinnier roll bar with correct 12 degree rear lean
-Dropped and Perky Butt mod
-15" pin drive w/ GY billboards and gold spinners
-SW 240-A fuel pumps in trunk
-Hood and trunk hoops
-along with a few other plans.

The plan was the same with the engine. A LOT of research and hunting down what was period correct:

1965 standard bore side oiler
1965 MR heads
1965 forged steel crank
1965 Holley BC/BD carbs
Blue thunder MR intake
Scat H Beam Rods
Comp Cams Solid Lifter/Flat Tappet cam
Edelbrock Water pump
10:1 Compression Ratio (i.e. pump gas)

DYNO results: 444.3 Peak HP at 5700 RPM, 455 Peak Torque at 4600 RPM

·
Junior Charter Member
1,100 Posts
Not done yet

From these pictures I still need to:

-trim the wires
-move dip stick tube to oil pan on passenger side and plug hole in block
-find a cap for the overflow tank
-shorten up the hose to the oil filter
-Change the oil brather cap (have an NOS one with the ford sticker on it)

Just wanted to post some pictures for you guys

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's my 429 from my 71 T-bird.

I bought this engine from Carroll Shelby in 2001. It was raced in 1967 when the side oilers became scarce. Long story if anyone is interested, please email me. I'm planning on selling it as a long block, minus the intake and carb. so I can but a new Dove side oiler. I have all the specs., photo's and a short video on you tube, if you're interested, let me know.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Here are a few shots of my 428 CJ

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Super clean look bcw!
You mind sharing some of the specs? Bored over I assume? Original 428 crank? Are the Edelbrock heads stock, or did you port them out a little?
And I noticed the '65-'69 OE Ford alternator you have as well (looks really nicely reconditioned) ... you mind if I ask where you sourced it from?

Great job on the build! She's a beaut!!!

- John

·
Registered
704 Posts
Very nice old school look. What did you use to paint the expansion tank?
Lew

·
Registered
398 Posts
Very nice old school look. What did you use to paint the expansion tank?
Lew
Thanks Lew! Its nothing compared to your aluminum 482 monster but it will have to do. I purchased an old thunderbird expansion tank off of ebay and did a little body work. I then painted it with Bill Hirsch engine enamel. I read several good reviews about it online.

AEROSOL ENGINE ENAMEL-Hirsch Automotive Products

·
Registered
398 Posts
Super clean look bcw!
You mind sharing some of the specs? Bored over I assume? Original 428 crank? Are the Edelbrock heads stock, or did you port them out a little?
And I noticed the '65-'69 OE Ford alternator you have as well (looks really nicely reconditioned) ... you mind if I ask where you sourced it from?

Great job on the build! She's a beaut!!!

- John
Thanks for the compliment John. It has a Hydraulic flat tappet cam .562: Int/.565 Exh. The Edelbrock heads are stock. I'm a big believer in porting and polishing but I have not done so on this motor. Eventually I would like to get a better intake manifold that has a breather port so I can use the true pent roof valve covers and a port job to finish it off. The Rotating assembly is new. Not sure how much it has been bored over. I had DJ machine out of AZ build it for me and I just added the oil pan, paint and the rest of the goodies. I wish I would have gone the route you did starting with a good 390. If you would have had your thread 6 months ago I would have definitely gone that direction.

Thanks for noticing the alternator. The alternator was from bnrparts purchased off of ebay It was a little expensive at $230 but they do a nice job. Just do a search for "427 Cobra alternator" on ebay and you will find them.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Good stuff! Those Edelbrock heads flow pretty damn well straight out of the box anyway, and the springs that Edelbrock loads in them should easily handle the lift on that cam. For moderate rev hydraulic builds like your's and mine that don't go with crazy cams or big cubes, those heads are truly plenty.

Enjoy! :evil:
- John

·
Registered
23 Posts
400hp - 390

Everything Went Pretty Smooth! 1st start went great! Took it for a spin a couple times a round the Block... until the neighbor called the cops! Only issue is the rear end noise! Metal pieces in the rear end ... Moser won't warranty cause its been over a year!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ffr 7622

[/IMG]

429 .040 over with custom pistons, Eagle rods, forged crank, thumper cam, Torker II intake with Mass Flo EFI and Mallory distributor, and other little helpers. I'm in the process of mocking up the EFI but having some clearance issues with Ford oval Cobra air cleaner and distributor. Once I get that issue taken care of , I hope to get it started. Nick C

101 - 120 of 132 Posts