Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any one that has run this challenge in TX. Just trying to iron out some specifics and have some questions, ie what class, difficulties / challenges, worth doing, etc.
Searching the forum revealed that Doug Demots and Randy Marsh ran it a few years back. Doesn't look like Doug has been on in a few years.
Thanks
Mike

·
Junior Charter Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked into Sandhills a few years ago and found it to be very selective. Quite difficult to secure a spot. But will revisit to see if anything has changed.
Mike

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
Mike,
There are some guys around here who have done it. Hopefully they will reach out to you.
I'd love to do that one of these days. Sounds like a blast.
John

·
Charter Member
110 Posts
find the Houston Cobra Club on Yahoo Groups or maybe club cobra. A few guys from the Houston club have done it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Big Bend Open Road Race participant

Looking for any one that has run this challenge in TX. Just trying to iron out some specifics and have some questions, ie what class, difficulties / challenges, worth doing, etc.
Searching the forum revealed that Doug Demots and Randy Marsh ran it a few years back. Doesn't look like Doug has been on in a few years.
Thanks
Mike
You will not obtain entry for the 2019 event. Registration opened January 2. Successful registrants complete their forms and documentation in advance. They submit their application package on the stroke of midnight when registration opens. I was not successful in my first application. I was successful in my application for the 2016 event with the the advice of fellow members of the Texas Cobra Club. You must make a very close reading of the rules and regulations. The organizers do not make exceptions. I was forced to purchase a new tire because the one on the car was more than four years old. I was also required to alter the mounting of the fire extinguisher in the cabin because it was not readily accessible to the passenger/navigator. I was running solo!

This event is a masterpiece of organization. They have three helicopters in service. Two are in the air and the third chopper is in reserve.

I will not return. Most of my time was spent at the side of the road. As a rookie you are limited to 120 mph and that translates to half an hour south and half an hour north with the prospect of collision with turkey vulture. :frown2:

·
Junior Charter Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.
I was going to say maybe next year, but sounds like you did not have a ton of fun. Maybe I look elsewhere
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts