Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone come up with a good, cheap idea for a trim piece for the opening where the steering shaft comes through the dash?

·
6,559 Posts
I honestly can't remember where I got mine but I think it was from Mike's

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you just have a round hole through the dash cover material, you can go to Lowes or Sears Hardware and get a large zinc plated washer. It might not be the prettiest, but it will serve the pupose. Cost about $1.50. If you want something like the cool one Todd shows above, a couple of the vendors have them.

·
7,097 Posts
I've seen people use chrome sink pipes. Get them at the plumbing section at Lowes Cut them to size. The flare at the end covers the dash hole.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,315 Posts
The above solution on the raw dashboard looks real pretty. HOWEVER when you click on the link and see it installed on a car with a rusty old steering shaft it looks god awful. You either need a black/chrome finished steering column or else a different bezal.

I think finishline sells their roll bar grommets one at a time for this purpose -- that way you get the nice chrome trim with a rubber boot to hide the unsightly.

-SB

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
I went to Lowes , and bought a 1/8 inch x 2 inch piece of flat....cut out the bezel and center area , and drilled evenly spaced holes (6) around the edge (counter sunk)...Polished the bezel on a wheel on the drill press , and mounted over the dash hole with flat head stainless phillips screws...looks great, and cost almost nothing.

·
3,874 Posts
Finish Line (a vendor on this forum) has a great looking round bezel for $20.00 part number "SC-Bezel" that I use.

Don

·
3,874 Posts
Well Bow Tie Boy ya just have to be a little quicker than us Blue Oval Boys, you know what they say about Ford --- First-On-Race-Day :D I just noticed the plack on the dash I got for you, looks good. You did a great job on your build Jim.
PS I just got to my 1000th post with this one :cool:
Don

·
6,559 Posts
Originally posted by SportyBry:
The above solution on the raw dashboard looks real pretty. HOWEVER when you click on the link and see it installed on a car with a rusty old steering shaft it looks god awful. You either need a black/chrome finished steering column or else a different bezal.

I think finishline sells their roll bar grommets one at a time for this purpose -- that way you get the nice chrome trim with a rubber boot to hide the unsightly.

-SB
I'm with ya. I used a piece of the corrugated plastic wire loom that fit perfectly over the shaft.

·
Supermoderator
12,393 Posts
Mike's Custom Parts sells the oval shaped bezel, and a little elbow grease and paint on the exposed shaft works great.

·
3,874 Posts
On the photo I posted as well as ZL-1 we used the Finish Line part number "SC-Bezel" in conjunction with Russ Thompsons turn signal setup so you don't see any shaft at all and the ring with the rubber grommit fit perfectly together.
Don

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all of the replys. I'll probably try to polish some aluminum up and make my own.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts