Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

What is the preferred method?

I have pickle forks, blocks of wood, dead-blow hammers, etc. and was wondering which to use. I don't want to booger the ball joint at all because I have the LCA's sold.

Is there an easy method?

Thanks!

R :D

·
Vendor
8,399 Posts
leave the IFS bracket bolted in,remove caliper and rotor, lossen the lower ball joint castle nut. Hit the spindle where the ball joint taper goes through it at a 90ish degree angle with a 25+oz hammmer very firmly (about as hard as you can and still control where you are hitting). Never taken me more than 6 whacks to loosen any ball joint or tie rod end

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
This worked pretty good for me.

Remove the tire and wheel. Loosen the castle nut a few turns - about 1/4".

Place a block of wood under the brake disc, and rest the weight of the car on the disc.

Like Wayne said, whack the spindle a couple of times. Spring pressure will pop the joint part.

During reassembly, be sure to put a liberal coating of anti-seize lube on the stud.

·
Finally starting!!!
480 Posts
2 or 3 jaw puller and a hand wrench, possibly a hand held torch if your's has been on forever. Thats what my 90 donor car needed to break loose.

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.. Now I understand what would cause it to separate because of the BFH. Spring pressure is pushing it apart.

I'll try it and report back!

·
Junior Charter Member
1,637 Posts
I use the BFH method but I use two hammers hitting the spindle on both sides of the ball joint at the same time. This squeezes the spindle pushing the tapered ball joint stud out. Keep the nut threaded onto the ball joint stud to keep the Assembly from flying apart.
Tim

·
Caress of Steel
2,177 Posts
I've had good luck loosening the castle nut to bring the top level with the top of the ball joint stud, then giving it one good smack with a BFH, straight down. Spring always pops it.

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys,

Tried all of the above but to no avail. I ended up having to use a pickle fork although with the spring tension on, they both came easy. (about 2 whacks with the BFH each.)

Thanks for the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts