Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Which Tires for 15" Wheels

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Cobraholic
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still undecided on whether to go with the expensive Goodyear Billboard Eagles or one of the other more popular less expensive tires, eg, Goodyear Eagle GT II, Cooper Cobra, Mickey Thompson, or Indy 500's all in the 235/60/15 front and 295/50/15 rear
This will go on 15" wheels.
Please help me decide.
Thanks,
Joe

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,474 Posts
A friend had the billboard GY's on his Unique Cobra.They stuck well but had that real old tire (like in the 60s) habit of flat spotting over night.So the first several miles every drive was very thumpy. So i would go w/ a modern tire and I've seen several positive reports about the mickey thompsons so voted for them.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
My Indy 500's hook up real good.
I've had BFG's in the past. They'd last because there hard but that doesn't help traction.
Firestones get my vote.

·
Cobraholic
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Come on guys, I need more replies!
Those popular Goodyear Eagle GT II's are on back order everywhere I look. I make have to settle for another one, even though I really like the looks of those old billboard tires!!

·
Registered
5,905 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I went with the M/T's at the end of last summer. I had been running BFG's but damaged one and couldn't find a replacement 275. The M/T's have better straight line traction for sure but I'm not so sure about cornering (certainly no worse than the BFG's). I run
V710's on the track so I haven't really pushed the M/T's to see how they do at the limits of cornering. Honestly though I don't think the M/T's ride/drive as nice as the BFG's. My car with the old rock hard BFG's drove like a dream and the now it seems a bit thumpy and harsh (kind'a hard to explain the feeling). I know...you can't have it both ways.

·
6,330 Posts
This is a real dilemma. I've heard some good things about the Mickey's having good straight line traction but then somebody reported they were lousy on a road course outing. So I don't know what to make of that. With the BBs, there's something about an old style nylon carcass bias tire that just doesn't rev me up. The benchmark for me is the Dunlop GT Qualifier. Radial construction, sticky compound, T rated (big deal), good straight line and road course traction, excellent ride and handling manners. Great tire. That's my pick. I think we should start a letter campaign to get Dunlop to bring this tire back in 295-50-15 and 235-60-15. I've written to them twice and been rebuffed twice, but maybe if they hear from more guys they'll reconsider. They discontinue these things because they perceive there to be a low demand. And there is, but if maybe there are enough potential buyers asking for them they'll think more seriously about bringing them back. Send them an e-mail. In the meantime I need more feedback on the tires listed before casting a vote.
Frank

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Wait for Larry Johnson to chime in. He's ran a little of everything. I'm going for looks so I'm going with the Billboards.

·
2,372 Posts
Dunlop GT qualifiers as well. Very good all around tire.
I didn't know they had discontinued them...

·
Junior Charter Member
292 Posts
I to vote for the INDY 500's FIREHAWKS the grip pretty well without throwing debris like a supper sticky tire would.

·
FFR 6240
350 Posts
If I was racing at 200 MPH on a banked oval, I would care what Tony Stewart thinks of Goodyears. The question becomes, how are you going to use your car. Road course handling means nothing if your cruising Woodward Avenue. Looks mean nothing if road course handling or quarter mile time is your key measure. Define what's important, then shop for advice.

·
Cobraholic
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Probably will never see a race track. Only for the street, but I love those Billboard letters!
The biggest question is...are they worth double the price, esp. considering all the money I've got to spend on other upgrades?

Joe

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'm going to order a set of Goodyear Billboard's (Blue Streak's) while I still have a little money left. I still have checks in the check book that means I have money right!

Jack

·
Junior Charter Member
187 Posts
PM sent

Drew

·
Registered
440 Posts
Fyi

The indy 500 tire is made by Firestone. I run them on both drag strip (1.84 60' with stock 5.0) and road cources and am very pleased with them.

Rob / FFR 5912 / The Clemson Cobra

·
Banned
907 Posts
Sumitomo is my first Choice!!!! Why, PRICE,PRICE,PRICE! $80 for the front, $84 for the 315's on the rear.
I figured for the first pair, Price was the only consideration. I didn't expect them to have a very long life!!!! So Far I've been right. But it's been fun.
The second pair. I'll actually have to decide what's a quality tire.
Todd

·
Registered
403 Posts
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 gets my vote and are in stock at tirerack.com for 118.00 ea rears and 85.00 ea fronts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts