Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's the best vendor that sells the Vintage Air Compact heater at the best price? Thanks.
Raul

·
1,123 Posts
I would contact Quality Roadster, Chris. I believe he has a direct line to Vintage Air.

·
5,573 Posts
I found best price from

http://www.yogisinc.com/

If you get the compact version it can all fit behind the dash. I found an easy way to build a plenum between the blower and the exchanger. Lancair's cool glass one was tempting but I found a good way to make one with light guage aluminum sheet. Let me know if you want more info.

·
Charter Member
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cwood,
Please send me any pics or info you have so I can be ready when it gets here. This damn heater has slowed me down enough! I'm prett sure StephenP and a few other people were able to fit it behind the dash without even making the plenum or any mods. Is this not possible? Thanks.
Raul

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Raul,
I ordered one for a customer a few months ago and figured I'd buy two to sell. He backed out and now I still have two complete units. Call me on my cell today for clearance pricing.
Mike Forte
781-248-8946

·
Charter Member
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike,
Thanks. I'll give you a call tomorrow.
Raul

·
5,573 Posts
Raul

Here are some pics

I separated the blower from the exchanger (few screws) and used aluminum strips bent into brackets to mount to the 2x2 in a location that clears guages etc. making sure that the top face of both openings were on the same plane and that there is enough clearance below for the heater door to open. I then used cardboard to make the front and back plenum shape with flats on both ends to meet each unit and a curve that maximized the space between. Then just strips of cardboard to do the top and bottom pieces. Taped it up and checked for a good fit. I then used very thin aluminum sheet that is sold in rolls for body work (cuts like paper) to replicate the shape...this time leaving enough for a flange around each opening and tabs on the sides to joint the top and bottom. I the riveted it together and covered the seams in foil tape. I put weather stripping foam around the openings then sheet metal screwed the flanges down into it. I covered the defrost openings.

Dash looks odd here as I left extra covering on the top to ensure no gaps with body on.

[ July 09, 2004, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: Cwood ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.