Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
45 Posts
Late '80's - mid 90's F150 pickup truck is a good bet.
The best is the Lightning pickups before the 4.6L engine came out (up to '97 or so). They have the roller camshaft setup.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,110 Posts
Can't beleive you're already doing this Rick!!! Though I can't really talk cause if I did it over (or another build) I'd also be looking into a 351W...so I have the same question.

If my fiancee reads this I'm a DEAD man...I mean like seriously d.e.a.d. :eek:

·
Senior Charter Member
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I'm going to sell the one I am building now in a few years after I build a garage (I'm NOT going to build another one under the shade tree again!)
The next one will be my "keeper", built with all the knowledge I learned from the first one...

Hope all is well!

·
Senior Charter Member
1,110 Posts
Rick, I think a lot is based on the cam as well. I think those truck versions (not lightning) are not really tuned for high performance output.

·
3,645 Posts
I have a line on a 69 short block. distance might be an issue though

·
Charter Member
1,328 Posts
Where did you find info on the factory HP ratings?I'd love to take a look at that.

My "donor" engine is from a 96 f150 (351w) It has a factory roller cam which I changed to the FMS F303 grind. No issues save for the fairly rough idle at 750RPM(which I like!). Highly recomended route for those on a budget, although converting the EFI motor to carb cost more than I thought it would, it was still cheaper than a new crate motor, and even with the stock iron heads the car positively hauls a**!!! Edlebrock aluminum heads will go on next month.

BTW, I've been told by people more knowledgeable than me on the forum here that contrary to the post above, the LIGHTNING motors were NOT roller cam motors but all the non-lightning motors are.(~87 through97) Also, if you're going EFI, the truck 5.8 EFI intake will NOT fit in the roadster.If you need any more specific info on what I've done, lemme know. You can get low mileage 351w long blocks for under 1,000 bucks so they are quite the wife-friendly way to go!

[ August 09, 2004, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Giff_4872 ]

·
Junior Charter Member
882 Posts
I have a 1995 Lightning motor and it was a factory roller.

·
Senior Charter Member
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also read that the truck upper intake was particularly restrictive, and that the gt-40 upper made a good replacement, so maybe that is a good thing? In hind sight though, I am wondering if the GT-40 upper would bolt on to the 351W lower intake? As far as bolt-ons go it seems that the lower intake is one of the few parts that won't bolt on from the 5.0?

So far, the thought is to bolt on some GT-40 heads and GT-40 upper intake, and leave the rest stock except for the must have dress-up goodies...I am hoping for around 300RWHP and gobs of torque. Am I on target?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,092 Posts
you would need the LIGHTNING GT-40 lower intake to bolt the gt-40 upper too.
The only question I would have is I don't think a EFI 351 would fit under the stock F5 hood.

·
Charter Member
1,328 Posts
The quote below is from another thread about 351w lightnings. According to Sal Manella, the 94-95 lightning blocks although roller ready, did not come with roller cam, I wonder why? (COnsidering the standard engines did)
QUOTE:
"If the $3k is for a COMPLETE Gen 1 Lightning motor (with heads, intakes, etc), than that's not too bad a price, for such a low mile motor. If it's $3k for just the short block, then it's definitely not worth it. The Lightning 351 is a great motor, I've made well over 600hp on stock short block trucks. The heads are just standard issue IRON GT-40s. The lower intake is 5.8 GT-40 and the upper is the tubular GT-40. The throttle body is the FMS 65mm. That motor was basically built using parts right out of the Motorsport book back in the day.

As for the roller issue, no Gen 1 Lightning motor cam with a roller cam, but most 94 and all 95 blocks were roller ready. That means they have the tall lifter bosses and tapped valley for the spider bolts. Look for the F4TZ casting for the roller block."

Were the blocks mentioned above (93-95) retrofitted to roller (an easy retro if the quote above is correct as all you'd need is the roller lifters and the spider/dog bones--no machining necessary if he's right) I'm thinking about getting another block myself, to build a radical stroker with, it'd be nice to know exactly, for sure which blocks have rollers in them without having to open them up.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Rickster,

One of my clients is trying to sell me a 400 out of a 74 Bronco. I don't know anything about it, other than he wants $200 for it. I'm tempted, but my wife would kill me if I showed up with another motor.

I'm about 3 hours south of Vegas (between Barstow and Ontario) if it's something you want to pick up.

·
Senior Charter Member
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fedderson, Thanks for the offer!, but that would be quite the drive for me.....I live about 1/2 way between Lake Tahoe and Sacramento...

Can anyone confirm that A KB would clear the hood if installed on a 351W EFI? This would be the 8lb. boost version.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts