Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to mount a new MSD box so I need some feedback on mounting locations. I have seen them on top of the passenger footbox but I was wondering if heat from the headers is a problem. The drivers side "F" panel seems like a logical place as it is ahead of the hot areas.

I need ideas.

Thanks,

·
Senior Charter Member
1,168 Posts
Ricky,
I put mine on the drivers side F panel. It makes wiring pretty easy.
I've seen some guys put it inside on the passenger side foot box wall. Some put it in the trunk, although I don't like the long wire runs myself.
The MSD box is pretty tough. It can go just about anywhere. Just try to keep it from getting wet.
Pete

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hi,

I mounted my MSD box on the firewall behind the engine. Fits in nicely and all of the wiring can be run under the engine to keep it all hidden and tidy.

The wiring you can see in the picture was for 'first start' and is only temporary.

Cheers,

Steve

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
I put mine behind the dash. Doesn't get an better protection than that.

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
I ran mine on the top of the pass. foot box. The direct radiant heat from the header is blocked if you think about it. Then it's simply "under hood" heat. However, I have a vented hood so I have a slight advantage.

Keep in mind that the outer aluminum casing of the MSD igntiion box is slightly "finned" for heat disapation and is exptected to be in the path of some airflow. Having it behind the dash is great protection but not sure how much air movement there is. For this reason, I didn't put it back there. If I had to do it again, I'd probably think about directly behind the motor to hide more of the wiring.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I agree, behind the dash protects it and keeps it cool. If you are not going to have a heater or glove box you can put it right there. Easy access to wiring and engine.
Bud

·
Registered
432 Posts
Mine is on the right hand side and as high up as possible on the inside of the passenger footbox. It's out of the elements, easy to change the rev limiter and one less thing under the hood.
Tom

·
Charter Member
3,060 Posts
Hidden behind the dash - away from header heat, dust, and moisture.

Still accessible underdash to change out the RPM pill.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Jack be Quick,

I am not going to have a heater or glove box as Cobrabud mentioned so behind the dash is definetly an option for me. How did you mount the box? Your mouting bolt heads must be visable from the engine compartment.

Thanks guys for all the help & keep the replys coming

·
Charter Member
3,060 Posts
polished hex head - blends in with the powder coating.

·
Registered
854 Posts

Hi Rickeyracer.

You can see my Hyfire box at the left side behind the dash. It is mounted on a hinged door that opens to reveal the box, and the fuse box for easy access.

tomh440

·
Registered
222 Posts
I put mine of the enginge side of the firewall and it crapped out pretty quick. I'm assuming from the heat. I'm not the only one that has had this problem with the MSD box.

·
Charter Member
1,117 Posts
My Crane is behind the dash on a hinged panel. I can hinge it down for access, it is protected, and the panel makes the dash solid. Eric

·
mk 1.5 original
562 Posts
mine is on the F panel. 6000 miles and no heat problems. sorry not the best pic.

Chris

·
8,356 Posts
Good access on the firewall, engine side; but, if you are going to have windshield wipers make sure you locate it so the wiper gears can be installed without interference

·
Junior Charter Member
1,300 Posts
F-Panel for me. Out of the heat and close to the distributor.

Baron

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,345 Posts
I'm hoping to come up with an alternative to the 6AL (maybe the Crane or Mallory). I had two of them fry in my Chevelle for no apparent reason. Both times mounted out of heat on rubber insulators. First was the generic MSD 6 and I watched that one release it's smoke (was idling in my driveway setting timing). Smelled toasted resistors, saw the smoke, car quit. Plus I had to buy an unsighty $40 tach adapter to drive my Sun Supertach II.

Second time was with it's replacement 6AL. Same thing only in traffic this time. At least with my old Holley carb I could generally get out and whack it with something and it would unstick.

·
Charter Member
87 Posts
We mounted ours on the top of passenger footbox. Haven't finished the wiring it up though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts