Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen this post quite a lot and am always interested. This time it is for my engine.
I spent some money on a set of factory heads to be gasket matched and ported. New valves and 3 grind stuff like that. I dont think my engine is up to its full potential with the following items.

GT40 upper and lower
E cam
Rollor rockers 1.6
70 mm throttle body
WMS-SDS fully programmable system
MSD 6 ignition
Forged pistons, .30 over
Stock heads ported and matched.
Dyno tuned properly but with poor results.

What would the differance be if the heads were replaced, and if so, what heads?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I am sure the guys will give you excellent advice on which heads best match your engine.
I can tell you I had stock GT40X heads on my 351W and paid $350 for porting plus 8cc's of milling (64 to 56cc's) to increase compression by one point to 10:1. The airflow showed a gain of 23-25cfm on the bench. This translated to 42RWHP. Best $350 + gaskets I ever spent ! A few years later I sold the X's and paid the big 2K for Brodix heads. The gain was another 35RWHP but more important was the widened more street usable power curve. The hasty head decisions usually focus only on air flow. But the volume of the intake runner , as matched to your motor's potential , is a key element. With heads bigger is not always better. You can ask the guys at TEA about head selections if you have your motor specs handy. www.totalengineairflow.com
After that conversation and this thread I bet you will know just what to buy in accordance to your goals and budget.

·
Senior Charter Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the links, the information is a bit overwelming to say the least.
I am going to need some time to look it all over and get my answers during our winter break from driving.
At least I will have my changes done before spring!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts