Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some head studs that slowly drip coolant as posted recently leak post

I'd like to try an additive rather than pulling the studs and resealing, retorquing them. There seams to be a lot of options when buying this stuff (tablets, powder, liquid, brands) and I wondered what advice and experience you have had. Thanks. Eric

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
I had built engine #1 and found studs next to plug #1 and plug #7 were weeping water (sizzling as it exited so it was easy to find). I removed the stud and used some sealant recommended by another member building a Coupe; it was one used for pipe fittings but good up to around 8,000psi. After getting them sealed up, I noted this pasty stuff is nearly identical to the sealant I bought from ARP when I bought the studs (I ran out of the ARP sealant). You should be able to find it at any Lowes or Home Depot (I found mine at Orchard Supply & Hardware.)

I think others may have used some Permatex but they'll chime in. Both seem to work. My recommendation is to get the stuff on both the studs/bolts, AND swab some on the threads on the block itself.

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
Ceramic cooling system sealant - Available from MOROSO, Irontite Ceramic Cooling System Sealer, KW Permanent Metallic Block Seal, there are a bunch of them out there and they really work as long as you follow the instructions.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Had the best results with the silver tablets,similar to what BF mentioned. GM has a good product that can be bought over counter at the dealer.
Buckeye,did you by chance try retorqueing the head bolts? Recommended after first heat up and cool down cycle when useing alum. heads.

·
Charter Member
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did not try to retorque but plan to. I haven't done anything yet as the wiring is all disconnected (can't start engine) while I complete the 315 mods(MKII), which only needs paint to finish.

I will retorque the nuts. Do you loosen them a half turn, then retorque or just retorque as they are? Supposedly the Cometic head gaskets do not need retorqued, but it can't hurt. Thanks. Eric

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Just retorque. You are checking the tq only. I found very few that will actually need to be tightened but always check. Not only are the Cometic gaskets not supposed to lose there tq. but are said to be reusable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts