Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best carb for a 345 hp Ford Crate 302 Engine? I am thinking about 650 cfm Holley 4150 Double Pumper with a electric choke. Before I bought one, I wanted to ask the forum.

Thanks,

Killer

·
Senior Charter Member
594 Posts
I'm not an expert by any means but I think you're in the right ball park with the 650 cfm.

I'm going with edelbrock b/c I've read that they are easier to deal with.

·
Going nowhere fast.
19,728 Posts
Car Craft tried several set ups with this engine and settled on the following:

To set a benchmark, we bolted on a FRPP high-rise dual-plane intake (PN M-9424-E302, which is basically an Edelbrock Performer RPM) and tested several out-of-the-box carburetors on it before settling on the best performer—a 625-cfm Road Demon, which made 370 hp at 6,000 rpm and 358 lb-ft at 4,100 with the stock jetting. The air/fuel ratio was perfect as delivered and the only change we made was to swap a lighter spring into the vacuum secondary pod to ensure the throttle bores opened fully during the dyno pull.

Baseline testing was done with a set of Hedman Hustler 15/8-inch-primary long-tube headers for an early Mustang, flowing through Flowmaster mufflers with 3-inch tubing—Westech’s standard dyno setup.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/55999/

They found this setup to produce even more power than dual 4-barrels.

Mike

·
Charter Member
6,152 Posts
That is a good choice with a B cam. Or you could go with the Road or Speed Demon 650. I have a 302 300hp with a X cam and Mighty Demon 650. I think a Speed Demon would be more approriate with the B cam. Goto the Barry Grant website and they have a spec sheet to match your engine too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have the same engine with the E-302 Manifold. I have the 670 Holley Street Performer; no problems; runs great, good driveability makes good HP. My $.02

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I ran a 650 on a 302 making around that much HP with similar parts. If I had to do it over again, I would run a 600.

Out of the box, it would idle great, but I could hardly accelerate from cruise or stand still. It would studder and fall on it's face. I needed to add pump shot to it, which made a huge difference.

If you run 650DP, make sure you use a dual plane intake. You'll also probably have to play with the pump shot a bit, put a 35 shooter up front at least. It will work, but I think you'll be farting around with it for awhile. I eventually got it very close and enjoyed the setup, but I always felt a 600 would have worked better, or possibly a vacuum secondary 650.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have weiand stealth as well. I called ford racing tech hotline and they suggested a 600cfm carb for that motor.

I went with a single line holley 600.

It works fine. Im gokarting with the XB3 and 3.08 rear end. Crazy fast. I havnt even depressed pedal more than 1/2 way yet!

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
The Stealth is a great intake - had one of those too. I would go for the 600DP on the Stealth. You'll have plenty of airflow, it won't cost you any power over the 650 whatsoever, and it will be much more responsive. The only place anyone could argue the larger carb would be for ultimate top end HP on a dyno in my opinion. On the street I think you'll really appreciate the slightly smaller venturis in the 600 and you won't have to mess around as much with spacers and shooters to improve signal and add fuel.

I bet a 600DP right out of the box would be almost perfect.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Its funny you should ask this question. I have the same engine, and just got done speaking with the people at the holley tech line. I gave them all the engine specs.I have the B cam . They said the 4150 with mechanical seconds was the way to go.Use the stock jetting. Main 65 jet ,seconds 73. Hope this helps .I did try the barry grant carb and had NO luck.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wanted to tell everyone thank you for your recommendations. I ordered a 4150 Holley #4776s Double Pumper 600 cfm with an electric choke kit, clear sight plugs and Morsco 1:1 sliplink. With a K & N #3040 X-Stream 14" x 3" Filter and 1.25 drop base.

After I get it installed, I will post how it is. I appreciate everyone's help!

Killer

·
Premium Member
18,449 Posts
Not to detract from everyone's thinking, BUT...why not make it look different?? Also gives you a spare carb on line, surprisingly not that much extra investment:
For a reliable running multi-carbureted SB Setup... among other good manufacturer’s products... matching Edelbrock Manifold and Carburetors are beginning to look good for small $... compared to installing a blower. True, this naturally aspirated setup would never equal the HP gain of a forced induction unit... but more importantly, from what I’ve heard; the reliability factor doesn’t appear to be a problem. This looks like a setup I could be happy with... all for about $700-$800.00. Now it can slowly begin to come together.

Edelbrock F-28 Series, Ford: 289/302, 1500-6500 RPM, Dual-Quad Manifold

F-28 Ford, Cast Aluminum, Dual Quad Manifold….….Summit #EDL-5435 $259.95

Non-EGR #5435*, Non-EGR, Polished #54351*. Designed for 289-302 CID Ford V8s. This manifold offers excellent performance as well as a hot looking package. With two Edelbrock carbs in-line, progressive throttle linkage and braided fuel line, this low-profile design allows adequate hood clearance and maintains great driveability. Chrome oval air cleaner #1235 or Elite oval air cleaner #4235 tops the package. Mounting bosses for throttle cable brackets make the F-28 suitable for late-model applications. Carb center to carb center = 6-7/16".

Matching Parts for the F-28 Dual-Quad Manifold

Progressive Throttle Linkage Kit…….………………….........Summit #EDL-7094 $49.95
Dual Quad Fuel Line Kit.…………………………………….....Summit #SUM-230188 $46.95

Carburetor Recommendations:

Edelbrock Performer 500 CFM, Square-Flange, Manual Choke Carburetor

Performer 500 CFM, Square-Flange, Manual Choke..Summit #EDL-1404* $219.95

Recommended for small cubic-inch Performer and dual-quad applications (such as 302 CID and smaller Ford; dual-quad F-28 applications). Includes timed and full vacuum ports for ignition advance. Comes with the following metering jets, rods and springs: Metering Jets: Primary .086, Secondary .095; Metering Rods: .065 x .052. Step-Up Spring: orange (5" Hg). Use our Carb Stud Kits #8008 or #8024 if needed.

Installation Notes: Recommended intake gasket: Fel-Pro #1250. Manifold height: A-3.90", B-4.75" see manifold selection page. Port exit dimensions: 1.03" x 1.92".

*Not legal for sale or use on pollution controlled motor vehicles.

~~~~~~~~~~
Bob Rego
Installed in an FFR:

Brian's Car (B+L FFR 1686)

·
Premium Member
11,518 Posts
Ooohh. I like the look of the dual quad setup... Doesn't look like they have that available for the 351w though too bad for me :(

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts