Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made the mistake of using ZEP de-greaser in the engine compartment, now the aluminum parts are all dis-colored.

what product seems to work best in resoring the finish? I have the Cast Aluminum COBRA valve covers, and they are now splotchy grey. Ick! Aluminum panels are also funky...... :eek:

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even on the cast parts?

Also, any ideas on an etching style cleaner for dirty engine brackets, such as P.S. Pump mount?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,315 Posts
Originally posted by Turkey Master:
Nevr-Dull. Cujo put me onto it.
Why would an ex-Maple Leafs goaltender advise you to use Never Dull ? I remember him having a less than "polished" career during his stay there....

:D

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Ouch! That's gonna leave a mark! :D

Dan

·
Registered
901 Posts
Have used Mothers, Flitz, Never Dull and a few others with about the same results.

For the cast parts, it is more difficult. You can use a bead blaster to get a dull even tone. Coated it with a clear coat like POR and looks good. POR can change color slightly however. I have used a series of twist lok scotchbright pads in a die grinder to get a smoother surface prior to the polish. It will also smooth out the casting marks. I tried to polish the upper intake that is aluminum, and ended up with a pitted surface due to the casting material. Got it "chrome" powdercoated.

Other cast pieces like the bellhousing, tstat housing and parts on my other cars worked will with the scotchbrite and a floppy wheel and any polish. Access to the area will be the key to success, as well as learning how dry to buff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts