Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Torque Junkie
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done a full or near full belly pan on a coupe?

How much can you actually cover before needing to add additional coolers for things like the differential and trans?
If I only run them outside the main rails from the rear tire to the front of the footboxes or up to the inner fenderwell will the aero help be worth the effort. It would certainly clean up the bottom of the car.
I was thinking of using some 1/8" aluminum sheet and mounting with some aluminum angle to give it a nice flat surface to mount to. Captive nuts on the angle stock would make it easy to remove when necessary.

·
Charter Member
889 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
3,485 Posts
I was thinking about it, but I think it would trap too much heat. Since top speed is not going to be a concern for me, I don't see a benefit other than the appearance and novelty of it.

·
Mad Max Builder
385 Posts
I was thinking about it, but I think it would trap too much heat. Since top speed is not going to be a concern for me, I don't see a benefit other than the appearance and novelty of it.
If you take the car to the track, drag is drag and anything you can do to reduce it will make you faster everywhere on the straights. You could say you wouldn't be trying to be competitive at track days, but that only lasts until you get passed for the first time.

Cooling has to come from somewhere, but modern cars, at least BMWs and Minis have complete undertrays. Engines are cooled with radiators and oil coolers. Transmissions can also be cooled with oil coolers. Air cooling isn't zero, but ford didn't see the need for air cooling fins on our engines.

(Although some sports cars do have finned differentials).

I'm going to try to cut whatever corners I can to get to the track this year, but a belly pan seems like a good winter project (along with 100 other things).

·
Junior
1,520 Posts
Travis at Levy Racing East was working on one for the Silver Coupe he had in his shop. Didn't see the finished product though.

·
2,274 Posts
Let your underside breathe!

I spend a good deal of time pondering ways to get heat out of my car. It gets HOT after 10 minutes on track... and I have lots of insulation on the foot boxes and trans tunnel.

Go commando.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,485 Posts
If you take the car to the track, drag is drag and anything you can do to reduce it will make you faster everywhere on the straights. You could say you wouldn't be trying to be competitive at track days, but that only lasts until you get passed for the first time.

Cooling has to come from somewhere, but modern cars, at least BMWs and Minis have complete undertrays. Engines are cooled with radiators and oil coolers. Transmissions can also be cooled with oil coolers. Air cooling isn't zero, but ford didn't see the need for air cooling fins on our engines.

(Although some sports cars do have finned differentials).

I'm going to try to cut whatever corners I can to get to the track this year, but a belly pan seems like a good winter project (along with 100 other things).
I agree with what you are saying, but I'm not worried about the engine/trans getting hot, I'm thinking more along the lines of all of my cockpit aluminum absorbing that radiated heat and heatsinking it into my interior. I could add a bunch of extra insulation, but skipping the extra insulation and belly pan means less weight, which probably helps as much as the drag reduction would for my use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts