Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Living the dream
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the stock bell housing need alignment or is this just for aftermarket bell housing setups?

·
Rapscallion
1,969 Posts
Unfortunately, I would go through the alignment process no matter what bellhousing I used. It is certainly easier to check it out than to have to go back and do it after damaging parts.

Do it right the first time.

Roscoe

·
Living the dream
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ttt

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The dowel pins are supposed to line it up. You could check it, in the tradition of blue-printing an engine, but I expect the pins to keep everything within tolerance.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,345 Posts
I agree with Mike. If you are going with a radically different clutch setup or putting gobs of power to it, chances are you're not using the stock bellhousing anyway. The locating dowels and factory tolerances should put you close enough that you'll never notice it. On the other hand, if it's something that's going to bother you every time you start it up, by all means, check it. It's a lot easier to do it now than later.

·
Rapscallion
1,969 Posts
The tolerance for the alignment is 5 thousands of an inch. If you find your alignment out you use offset dowel pins to bring it into tolerance.

These are the instructions from Lakewood but it applies to any bellhousing.

http://www.priveye.com/images/lakewood.htm

Roscoe

·
Living the dream
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it. Thanks guys.

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
Jaime:
If your stock setup for some reason is out of tolerance,you can remove the dowel pins and install offset pins supplied by Lakewood.
Lakewood supplies them in different offsets to help you get your alignment within spec.
BTW the stock Ford FMS bellhousing with Tremec tranny on my setup was out of perfect by only .0025".
No need to mess with anything!
Paul M.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts