Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody used these, If so, how did you mount them. Any help would be great. Thanks WW

·
Registered
72 Posts
My car is an early kit (1327) so the doors are probably different from what you have but here's what i did.

I had to weld a plate that the latch would screw to on the end of the door. The round post is mounted to a nut that i welded to the frame at the side of the cockpit. It took some time but everything lines up and the doors close with a gentle push.

good luck.
Lee

·
FFCobra Fanatic
717 Posts
Larry, a short response: If at all possible, and yes you can make it possible, USE them!

To me they are one the best safety upgrades you could possibly do. Absolutley no more "accidental door poppings"!

DV..suggestion for you: Put the striker on the bracket your "catch" bolts to on the inside of the body, put the bear claw latch itself in the door. Simple really.

·
Just Glad to be here - back to working on the car
1,633 Posts
Somebody post some pictures!!!!!

Install in progress and finished latches.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
717 Posts
Lets try this:

These are really, really cheap. I am assuming these particular units are NOT top quality. BUT, even so, they are a great upgrade.

Everett-Morrison is only one of the Cobra companys that installs this type of latch but installing the "claw" in the door with the striker to the body. They then use a lined cable that fits in the insert of the door to pull and release the "claw."

Now if you want to put electric releases or even remote controlled releases on the lock, lets talk!

DV

[ November 15, 2002, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: DV ]

·
Just Glad to be here - back to working on the car
1,633 Posts
OK DV talk away, I would like electric/remote releases. Who's latches are those in the picture?

·
7,097 Posts
Hmmmm Remote releases on a topless car....hmmmm

·
FFCobra Fanatic
717 Posts
Mike,
Ever come out of a restaurant only to find someone sitting in your car? We have, and if I found out they actually crawled over the door to get in....it wouldn't be a pretty scene.

I have to admit "remote" on a Cobra would only have a "cool wow factor" of maybe a 9. We have done numererous Cobras with electric releases though. One switch will mount behind each seat, under the carpet/rear deck for entry, the other two are on the dash for exit. One for each side on the dash works fine, but I hate to have to lean against the door every time I want to open it from the out side.

The picture I posted is from "Cobra67's" post and are sold be "SPEEDWAY."

Since we are a "Dakota Digital" dealer we usually use their remote control and door openers.

Fellas, you do not have to get this fancy to put this safety item in your car. Just a little modifications, and time. It also looks as good as it works.

I use AOL and they have made their picture posting a real nightmare. If I can get it to work, I will try and post a picture of the EM we are building with these locks in place. Closest set up to an FFR that I know of.

DV

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.