Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· New
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well fab work has been slow lately and I've been trying to focus on getting ready to leave for Basics, so I've been trying to catch up on as much stuff around the house as possible and fortunately that has meant some car projects as well. That and my wife and I are spending way too much time together lately so she has actually been encouraging me to go to the barn . So anyway, I thought I would share some pics of what I've been up to.
First off are my new door latches. I was never crazy about the ones supplied with the car so I picked up some of the mini bear claws. When it came to mounting them, I continued the somewhat-billet theme that has emerged in my car. I enjoy milling and lathe work and appreciate machine finishes, so that is where this all stemmed from. Of course, without access to a mill or lathe lately, it has been challenging. So starting with some angle I had laying around I came up with this...

A little drilling, filing and patience with a dremel that I think is older than me and I got to here..

Then lather, rinse, and repeat..

If I were starting over, I would cut the aluminum so the the cockpit side had an angle that would match the lines on the door, but overall I'm pretty pleased with the results. Have to wait for some material to come in to make the frame side and I'd like to eventually make about a 1" pin for a handle for the lever.
Before making these, I did some other stuff in the interior. Started a little bit of the insulation and carpet fitting and I drilled out the rivnuts on my trans tunnel cover and put in floating nut plates..

By shear luck, the velcro I bought to do the carpet actually matches the carpet perfectly in color and texture. So not only have I been able to fill a gap or two with it, but it means the hard side of the velcro holds the carpet really well. So this helped me solve how to mount my sound system...

It's a Kranker Tank Bag sold by Kuryakyn for motorcycles. I bought it specifically for this car, but had it on my VTX for a little while too. With a full face helmet and modified pipes, I could hear it pretty well up to around 50mph. An iPod or phone will plug in and goes in the little window. Inside has a little storage room and when I park I just unplug the 12v, peel it off the fire wall and toss it in the trunk. Easy peesy.

I've spend way too much time staring and sketching lately, but have come up with a design for my hood and trunk hinges and eventually door hinges. Planning to ditch the hood handles fo a cable release and am debating if I want to do the trunk as well. I mounted my headlights after a little massaging to get them to sit in closer to the body and installed the front turn signals...

I was pretty surprised how easy these went on, but was then disappointed with the taillights. The mounting area is smaller than the lights (which seems to be common) and I guess I have been staring at the body without the lights for too long, because they just look out of place to me. I thought about the rectangular lights and I really like the look, but i think I may end upi using the L488 lights that come with the Coupe (if anyone has some to part with let me know).About the only other thing lately worth photographing has been to grind on the hood a touch more to fit the scoop. I was all set to bond it on but the gun the paint store loaned me for the DuraMix is too small for the tube..

Will post up some more when I get some more aluminum in. Got the plans worked out for the hood and trunk hinges, finish the door latches , and make some seat mounted head rests. Stay tuned.

· Registered
2,302 Posts
the latches look perfect. Very nice! :001_smile:

· New
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I tend to avoid rivnuts on anything I can't reach the backside of because they eventually spin loose. I like to use floating nut plates when ever possible to give a little wiggle room. In this case, I didn't have any floaters this big so I found some solid nut plates at Ace that worked out nice..

I need to go back and get the next size up in bolt length. The engagement on the cockpit side is a little too shallow.

· Registered
1,267 Posts
Did you decided not to sell the car?

· New
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not the best shot, but here are the pedal covers and dead pedal I made..

And this has been done for a bit, but I never posted any pics of the Watt's link..

It's a little unconventional in the fact that the arms attach to the rear end and the pivot point is on a separate frame. I was very impressed when it first arrived. The quality is great and it bolted in with minimal fuss. But it made me self conscious about the rest of the suspension so that is when I got around to upgrading to coilovers on the rear. Much better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.