Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to everyone...

So I find myself in the ranks of those who have wound up with a cracked BBK 4 into 4 header, in my case with a little over 3,000 miles on the car. In full disclosure, I was running the side pipe support hangers, fully tightened, and after inspection there’s no visible cracking or stress that I can see on the side pipe.

What has broken is the #1 pipe on the passenger side. (Pics attached.) Was driving and suddenly was hearing a ”clanging/metal rattle” - got home, popped the hood and it stood right out.

Here’s where I could really use some help - what would you guys do? Repair or replace?

I thought about sending the pics to BBK just to see what they would say, but I know I can take it to my local welding shop and have them Tig it.

Also considered replacing it but when I went on Factory Five‘s site I don’t see the BBK 4 into 4 headers anymore? I tried googling to find and searched the forum for a part number but came up with nothing.

So what would you guys do?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Fix then have recoated and good as new.
Hi to everyone...

So I find myself in the ranks of those who have wound up with a cracked BBK 4 into 4 header, in my case with a little over 3,000 miles on the car. In full disclosure, I was running the side pipe support hangers, fully tightened, and after inspection there’s no visible cracking or stress that I can see on the side pipe.

What has broken is the #1 pipe on the passenger side. (Pics attached.) Was driving and suddenly was hearing a ”clanging/metal rattle” - got home, popped the hood and it stood right out.
View attachment 360828
View attachment 360829

Here’s where I could really use some help - what would you guys do? Repair or replace?

I thought about sending the pics to BBK just to see what they would say, but I know I can take it to my local welding shop and have them Tig it.

Also considered replacing it but when I went on Factory Five‘s site I don’t see the BBK 4 into 4 headers anymore? I tried googling to find and searched the forum for a part number but came up with nothing.

I had the exact same problem with my header on the no. 1 pipe on passenger side. I used my mig welder and ran a bead of weld all the way around. I tested the metal with a magnet and it stuck.
Hi to everyone...

View attachment 360828
View attachment 360829

I had the exact same problem on the same pipe. A magnet will stick to metal. I mig welded mine. Went slow with a series of beads. The pipe metal is very thin so have to be careful. Thousands of miles later and no problems.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Mine cracked too. Not as bad as yours. It looks like the same exhaust port has mine ( PS cylinder nearest the accessory drive). I had them welded and they broke next to the weld. I think when BBK squared the round tube it affected the strength of the pipe. I got lucky and bought a new set from someone on this forum.

·
Premium Member
5,806 Posts
I would fix it. If you decide you'd rather replace them (or the repair doesn't last as intended), There's a header company in Barnesville, MN that does very nice work (Google is your friend, or you can send me a message for contact info). They don't advertise here, so I doubt I can post a link directly but they make headers to fit our cars in plain or stainless steel. Mine fit much better in every direction than the (Hooker) headers originally supplied by FFR:

WAY cheaper to fix what you have though!

Sean

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Hi to everyone...

View attachment 360828
View attachment 360829

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Hi,
I don't like to hear this since I installed the 4 into 4 headers from FF in my MK4 a few months ago. Previously I had the J-pipes and experienced cracking also.
I would suggest you contact Tony Zullo [email protected] and enclose the pictures of the cracks.

You might want to contact Deep South Cobra Club. We have events throughout the year. Good group of guys and gals.

Tim
Mount Dora FL

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would fix it. If you decide you'd rather replace them (or the repair doesn't last as intended), There's a header company in Barnesville, MN that does very nice work (Google is your friend, or you can send me a message for contact info). They don't advertise here, so I doubt I can post a link directly but they make headers to fit our cars in plain or stainless steel. Mine fit much better in every direction than the (Hooker) headers originally supplied by FFR:

View attachment 360858

WAY cheaper to fix what you have though!

Sean
Can u post the name off the company I would like a set

1 - 8 of 8 Posts