41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

·
Junior Charter Member
2,909 Posts
Don't have access to my pictures now but some of the original Cobras had the battery behind the passengers seat and were uncovered.

George
Very true. There was pretty close to zero safely rules, or even concern for safety, in those days. The originals had a full sized spare in the trunk taking up a lot of space.

If you are concerned with performance, these cars need weight in the rear. I think the FFMetals box is the best option.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
OK then lets see some corner weights and corresponding battery placement.
I contest that even with driver only and especially with a passenger the cars do not "need" weight in the rear.
It's my understanding that in the FFR roadster the engine is slightly further to the rear than in the originals.
If you have a 460 or a 427 Windsor then OK and you are probably more focused on straight line acceleration than sports-car handling.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Agreed Mark. I've never seen an FFR roadster scale front heavy, always weight biased to the rear. My buddy has a 460 in his, and it too is slightly heavy in the rear.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
OK then lets see some corner weights and corresponding battery placement.
I contest that even with driver only and especially with a passenger the cars do not "need" weight in the rear.
It's my understanding that in the FFR roadster the engine is slightly further to the rear than in the originals.
If you have a 460 or a 427 Windsor then OK and you are probably more focused on straight line acceleration than sports-car handling.
One data point:

347 cu in, tko 500, irs, Breeze Battery box in front passenger side, 200 pound driver :

- 2568 Total Weight with Driver; 1172 front...1396 rear (45.6%/54.3%)
- Side to side: Left 52%, Right 48%

·
Man Cave Master Craftsman
493 Posts
I agree with Mark (at least with mine!)

Measured with no driver or passenger

Front= 48.97%

Rear= 51.03%

Left= 50.59%

Right=49.41%

Diagonal=49.97%

Cross=50.03%

Total weight=2583 lbs

Coyote engine

Engine compartment mounted battery in Breeze battery box.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Is the ideal a 50/50 weight distribution desirable in these cars?

From what I've seen in videos and read I'm not so sure. I'm not an expert and I don't have any on track race experience but I think you should lean toward having a rear wheel weight bias especially if your are an inexperienced driver of a powerful 'racecar'.

That weight also shifts depending on how you are driving and whether you are driving in the corners or on the straightaway.

Just one article of many out there:
https://oakmanonracing.wordpress.com/2013/02/13/why-a-porsche-spins-a-corvette-pushes-and-a-lamborhini-wants-to-kill-you/

George

Edit add: Types of tires and their size, spring rates, anti-sway bars and more come into play here too.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
1966 factory stock 427

2529lbs 48%F - 52%R

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like the Breeze front mount kit as it seems reasonable that mounting in the front is an advantage. I am curious why they moved it from on top of the passenger footbox to in front of the engine (I think they did this between Mk2 & M3). I understand space is at a premium, but what makes the front of the engine better than the top of the footbox?

·
493 Posts
I like the Breeze front mount kit as it seems reasonable that mounting in the front is an advantage. I am curious why they moved it from on top of the passenger footbox to in front of the engine (I think they did this between Mk2 & M3). I understand space is at a premium, but what makes the front of the engine better than the top of the footbox?
First thing that comes to mind is lower center of gravity, space permitting the area in front of the engine if not already occupied by an ABS module, remote oil filter mount etc, is a great spot as the battery and posts are readily accessible.

Saul

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I like the low COG also.

Don't know if it was a factor but with more COYOTE engines going in that is a good spot for the ECU if you are using a heater.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Why move from over the footbox to behind x-member

Thanks for the corner weights! They illustrate how the right front is the lightest corner - even with the battery there, and they also illustrate the significance of the driver weight. Since the examples are similar - with driver F 46, R 54, without driver F 49, R 51
I almost always run the car with a driver.

Snowdave:

It's been a while but the motivation to re-think the over the foot-box mount may have come from a change in the Roadster foot-box design. Also it was time to get my Mk3 ready for the show in Carlisle back in 2007 or so and I wanted to put forth the best possible design and also enjoy it in my own car. I had gotten some feedback from builders that they did not want to risk acid seepage or spill on the aluminum or into the interior.
So reasons in the Roadster were easier access, lower center of gravity, smaller/lighter battery, and attaches directly to the frame rather than only to the aluminum. Also it can get crowded in the area over the foot-box with wiper motor, heater fan etc. Now that is even more true with all the Coyote wiring. The smaller/lighter battery was too tall for over-the foot-box mounting I believe and would have required an even deeper tray.
I even re-did my 1967 Mustang and welded in the same tray to mount the smaller battery.
I think if you are going with one of the Braille type batteries then over the footbox is still a nice choice if you have the room - but i still like the relatively inexpensive standard style battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the insight. My planned build is a simple 302, but I am toying with the idea of adding a centrifugal blower. I can imagine the extra belt for the blower and even the intake tubing would be in the same spaces as the old and new Breeze mounts. I have plenty of time to work out the details and since I like to fab myself, the options are wide open. Just nice to consider these things in the dead of Wisconsin winter while the donor sits in storage :)

·
Not a waxer
11,688 Posts
I almost always run the car with a driver.
Love it Mark! :lol:

My weight without driver but full of gas and battery in the rear is 2180 with 1025 front, 1155 rear or 47% front, 53% rear. That's with an aluminum headed EFI Windsor, T5, 3 link, full insulation and carpet. What are you guys adding to get up to 2,500 pounds?

Jeff

·
493 Posts
Love it Mark! :lol:

My weight without driver but full of gas and battery in the rear is 2180 with 1025 front, 1155 rear or 47% front, 53% rear. That's with an aluminum headed EFI Windsor, T5, 3 link, full insulation and carpet. What are you guys adding to get up to 2,500 pounds?

Jeff
Hello Jeff,

With forum members helping me spend my money pretty much everything that is an option like dual roll bars, exhaust shields, full carpeting, abs, secondary cooling system, power steering, stereo, speakers, amplifiers etc. She gained a few "extra" pounds :grin2:

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Some things that weigh a lot are:
Stock Mustang 5.0 Batteries
Cast Iron Flywheels
351 blocks and cranks
TKO transmissions
6-speed transmissions
Steel Bell-housings
Cobra Brake Rotors
315mm wide rear Tires